Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just got a great job offer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and haven't spent any time there other than going through the airport a couple of times.
What do you think of the town and the people? I won't move just for the job but if the city's nice I might consider it.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 3 years when my dad got transferred there in 1983. My parents still live there (Coral Springs) so I visit fairly frequently. The cost of living is high, and it's somewhat over-populated. On the flip side, the climate is nice, there's the beach of course, and lots of nice restaurants and such since it's a tourist area.

I think if you're making really good money and can afford to live in the nicer areas, South Florida is great. If you're middle income or less, well, there's other places where you can enjoy a much higher standard of living on the same income.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
lived in Key Largo for 8 years and my Mother-in-law lives in Hollywood, near by. The closer you get to the water, the worse it is in terms of traffic and expensive housing.

If you go west of I-95 it gets better and better. There are pockets of really nice places and some you want to steer clear of. You just have to pick the right place in the right location, but that's fairly easy. The housing market has hit that area bad, so the it's a buyer's market right now.

Seeing that you're in Detroit, In my opinion, it's a no-brainer. MOVE TO FLORIDA! No state income taxes, warm weather year round, lot's of things to do all of the time. Beaches, Moroso Park, great food of all kinds and lots of nice scenery!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I lived in Ft Liquordale for 30 years. Mike is right, it is crowded, and real estate is expensive. People have a tendency to be rude, but there are a lot of cool folks too. It is a major party city. Lots of beautiful girls. Bad schools. Great beaches and lifestyle. Good restaurants.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I got transferred to the Ft. Lauderdale area about 6 years ago, spent 3 1/2 there.

Ft. Lauderdale has a wide "berth", somewhat like LA, sprawling, no end, it encompasses many "cities", stretches from Miami right up to Palm Beach before you see a break in the development, lots of folks from So. America (more than 1/2).

I loved So. Fla, my kids did not, wife was 50/50. We ALL loved the weather, we lived in a nice place, we had nice friends.

The schools suck...period. 3+ yr wait to get into a decent private school, hurricane and flood insurance was almost as much as the mtg.pmt. Real estate taxes were also almost as high as the mtg. Real estate taxes are based on the most recent selling price of the house.

Property values have fallen a LOT! You could probably get a great buy right now, but yes, like anywhere else there are some areas you just DO NOT want to live.

What city is the job in (actual Ft. Lauderdale proper, or a surrounding town i.e.Lauderdale Lakes, Pembroke Pines, Weston-they all use Ft. Lauderdale zips)?

If you want, PM me and I'll get you more details,
Fred

P.S. We plan to move back to FL after the boys finish HS.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have lived in the Miami/FT. Lauderdale area for the last ten years, pretty much what others have said, property is down and if you can get financing you can make some deals. Insurance and prop taxes are insane, but no state income tax. Having lived in the north most of my life I think the storm thing is overblown due to people being lulled by the perfect weather the rest of the year. Put some thought into where you choose to live, you know there will be some flooding every year so find a place that isn't on a canal or in a low spot. (BTW the highest point in Broward county is a Waste Managment landfill mound) If you have kids put them in private period (very low paid teachers and many urban utes). I would recomend living west around the turnpike (and use it, traffic is bad) and as far north as you can stand. I finally moved to the Palm beach area and love it, less traffic, cheaper, quiet, the beach isn't shoulder to shoulder, "bad" areas are further away, I'm closer to Moroso, all in all a better place, but an hour north of down town FT. Lauderdale. I do not know what kind of business you are in but you may need to consider some basic Spanish and Creole courses due to the labor force and customers.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Thats a no brainer to move to Fort Lauderdale:yes: Their is 2 other TCmembers that live in that area Mike (704EVER) and Fred (FameSS-396).
If they dont chime in this thread I would PM them about the area.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your info!!!!!! :)
This really helps alot and I appreciate you guys taking the time to give me your input.
Keep it coming! :yes:

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
lived in Key Largo for 8 years and my Mother-in-law lives in Hollywood, near by. The closer you get to the water, the worse it is in terms of traffic and expensive housing.

If you go west of I-95 it gets better and better. There are pockets of really nice places and some you want to steer clear of. You just have to pick the right place in the right location, but that's fairly easy. The housing market has hit that area bad, so the it's a buyer's market right now.

Seeing that you're in Detroit, In my opinion, it's a no-brainer. MOVE TO FLORIDA! No state income taxes, warm weather year round, lot's of things to do all of the time. Beaches, Moroso Park, great food of all kinds and lots of nice scenery!
Jimmy Forgot the single most important thing. DRIVE YOUR CAR YEAR ROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah, and no snow; well unless I'm vacationing there. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
I lived in Miami Lakes for 3 1/2 years. I agree with what the others have said about property, taxes, insurance, crowding and live as far north and west as you can stand. Property prices have dropped a lot since we left. Insurance and property taxes are still insane. No state income tax is a plus, but won't make up for it. Hard to argue with the weather. And, you will live in a place where others dream of vacationing. So lots of trade offs.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Jimmy Forgot the single most important thing. DRIVE YOUR CAR YEAR ROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah, and no snow; well unless I'm vacationing there. :rolleyes:
:yes: Kinda funny it has not snow here in years and when Jason show up the same day he came over to my house we had snow flurries, go figure. I even told him I bet it would snow if he came down.:yes:Well I guess that the true meaning of a SNOW BIRD:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.