Team Chevelle banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
How I found mine was from recommendations of friends and neighbors.
I'm sure there are plenty around Rockford IL
Rockford IL is a hour plus drive from me.
Not sure how you even know that is remotely close thou.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Actually had my torsion spring replaced tonight. I only had one and it snapped. The guy installed two springs which is what is recommended and also replaced some other parts for free. Its definitely doable if you do your research and are mechanically inclined. I was having a hard time finding the part and when I realized I needed 2 springs instead of one I just the heck with it and called someone. I didnt feel like dealing with it.

If you dont do your research and mess it up it can

#1 Kill you.
#2 screw up the door and have it come crashing down, destroying the door, your chevelle, or your head.

So yeah do your research.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Call a qualified door guy, a couple hundred bucks and its done right.. spend your time doing something productive.
Plus if they are like the guy I had change our spring, he'll lubricate and adjust the whole door and track. I couldn't believe how much quieter it was afterwards.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Guys, i have extension springs on the door, not torsion springs. i have never messed with torsion springs, but know enough about them not to. Extension springs are very easy to replace, they dont have tension (or hardly any) on them when the garage door is up. I have done them before, my issue is, they arent color coded, but have a tag with some numbers on them i cant match up.
I dont have a door guy, or really have the patience for being on someone elses schedule. Theres also like a foot of snow on the ground here, so i wont actually need to raise the door for a while.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If one broke you might as well replace both of them. That way you'll have even spring tension. The one that didn't break is probably wore out too. Most reputable home repair stores carry them or can get them for you and they are fairly cheap. Please put the safety cable down the center of the springs. That way someone or something isn't getting taken out the next time one breaks. Easy repair if you're mechanically inclined. And if not,you can google anything now. Good luck

·
Registered
346 Posts
Home Depot, and Lowes both stock those springs. Easy to change. Open the door manually to not put too much stress on the electric door opener, get the car out, leave it open. (spring is relaxed with door open). Get a half inch wrench to undo the nut's holding the cable in place, pull the spring, install new. go to the other side and repeat. If one broke, the other isn't too far behind.

·
Super Moderator
1,844 Posts
You need to remove the other spring and put a scale under the door to get the weight. Then buy a pair of springs for that weight, trying to replace one will normally result in a poor opening door unless they are exactly the same spring. Most extension springs are universal and you adjust the cable length that attaches it. Have done it many times on my doors and it is easy.

·
Premium Member
13,812 Posts
Many years ago, my wife's uncle had a spring snap in his garage and he always kept his car in there. Luckily, we happened to be there at the time. One of the ends snapped off and I was able to rebend that end into another loop and was able to get it reattached, it was a bit of a struggle, but got the job done. I think today's code is to run the cable thru the center of the extended springs! Good luck with your door!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to add to another not so great thing going on at my house right now, i have a broken spring on my garage door. No color on it, but i found a tag on it that has "32-42-250"
i dont find tons of good info googling just that. it is an extension spring, and has clipped ends (based on my recent google search). This is a 7' x 16' insulated garage door.
The spring i measured on the other side comes in at about 37" compressed. i guess the good news is, it doesnt appear as though it wailed my Camaro on its way to making itself a 2 piece spring.

I sort of assume that the 250 is the poundage, and maybe the others are the compressed and extended length, although the other one looks to be way longer than 42 extended.

anybody in the know on garage doors?
HERE IS AN IMPORTANT TIP. On the doors that have side springs go buy some thin steel cable and run it through the spring and attach it front and back. If the spring breaks it now will not swing down and damage your car. I had this happen when I had my 70 SS 427 Nova and it hit the quarter panel and deck and made a hell of a mess.
Now with my 70 olds cutlass S I do not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Surprisingly, i was able to get some very good info from a company online, that sold these 250 lb springs. Neither Home Cheapo, or Blowes carry springs of this nature. I have to lengthen the cable working the spring since the new springs are shorter, but have the same stretch.

HERE IS AN IMPORTANT TIP. On the doors that have side springs go buy some thin steel cable and run it through the spring and attach it front and back. If the spring breaks it now will not swing down and damage your car. I had this happen when I had my 70 SS 427 Nova and it hit the quarter panel and deck and made a hell of a mess.
Now with my 70 olds cutlass S I do not have to worry about it.
I was lucky, it didnt hit my Camaro, and it did have the cable running through it, which did somehow come un-done from one end. I am a (relatively) positive thinking person, so i will assume it did at least part of what it was designed to do.

I am having a run of not so great luck on things at the moment, and its like everytime i turn around, there is something to take care of before i can get back to working on my cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to add to another not so great thing going on at my house right now, i have a broken spring on my garage door. No color on it, but i found a tag on it that has "32-42-250"
i dont find tons of good info googling just that. it is an extension spring, and has clipped ends (based on my recent google search). This is a 7' x 16' insulated garage door.
The spring i measured on the other side comes in at about 37" compressed. i guess the good news is, it doesnt appear as though it wailed my Camaro on its way to making itself a 2 piece spring.

I sort of assume that the 250 is the poundage, and maybe the others are the compressed and extended length, although the other one looks to be way longer than 42 extended.

anybody in the know on garage doors?
I know enough to leave it to a professional especially if its a over the door spring

·
Registered
985 Posts
They also have the tension springs that you can install on the open end of your track up by your door opener instead of the springs that are over the door when closed. Just throwing that out there. I didn't know that until my son told me. He has a door installation business in the Beaufort S.C. area.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts