Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the stuff out of a box, the good old fashioned, made from scatch sort?
After years of wondering if I could do it I am going to experiment next weekend. Any input?

· Premium Member
22,931 Posts
I think the better question here is...
Anybody here eat cheesecake? :thumbsup:
I had a buddy that's moved off to VA that used to make a killer cheesecake...and was a chemist by trade. Only did it though at Xmas time. :(

· Registered
112 Posts
I have a buddy that makes cheesecakes. He's a bit of a goofball.
I must say, his oreo cheesecake is the most amazing thing i have ever tasted.
Go for the kill and make the oreo cheesecake.

· Premium Member
5,595 Posts
My brother-in-law makes them and sells them to restaraunts down in Austin, TX. I'll try to get in touch with him, see if he has a secret recipe to share. FWIW, the wife made up one of those Oreo cheesecakes last year. Mmmm, mmm, mmm, that was tasty. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, these holiday times are probably going to get the best of my diet, no matter how hard I try. It was sad that I had to walk away from that gallon of eggnog today at Sam's Club. 220 calories x 32 servings, nevermind the fact that I could finish that thing off in about 2 days, just couldn't do it. :sad: Then I come home, and there's a large box of pastries from the father-in-law. He works in food service at the Hilton, guess they had some leftovers. :) Those custard filled donuts were extra heavy, they definitely were meant to please. :D Arrrgh! Ratchafratchin' diets. :rolleyes: :D

Edit: Did you check Food TV?

· Registered
914 Posts
My wife was supposed to make a sweet potato cheesecake for Thanksgiving but got sick so I had to do it. If I say so myself it was the best cheesecake I ever ate. Actually you use yams, not sweet potatoes, same as for pie. Not being from the south I never understood that. Here's the recipe:

CRUST:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine -- melted

CHEESECAKE:

3 (8 ounces each) pkgs cream cheese -- softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 3/4 cups sweet potatoes, mashed
2 eggs
2/3 cup evaporated milk -- undiluted
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Crust: Combine crumbs, sugar, and butter in bowl. Press onto bottom and 1 inch up on sides of 9 inch springform pan. Bake at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Remove from oven and cool.

Cheesecake: Beat cream cheese, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat in sweet potatoes, eggs, and milk. Add cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat well. Pour into crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until edge is set.

Cool on wire rack. Remove side of pan and chill several hours or overnight.

· Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a spring form pan yesterday and found 2 recipes on the food network website that should be easy enough for a starter to learn on. I'll guinea pig with them and go on from there. Your recipes would be appreciated!

· Registered
243 Posts
Not cheescake but its good. My best friends wife makes it and calls it "Better than sex cake".

First, make sure you have the following ingredients:
A chocolate cake mix. I used a Betty Crocker German Chocolate cake mix. Others will do.
3 eggs- for the cake mix.
1/2 cup of vegetable oil- for the cake mix.
Pam no-stick cooking spray- for the cake mix.
1 1/3 cups of water- for the cake mix. Almost everyone will have this already.
2 or 3 ounces of Heath Bar candy.
An 8 ounce tub of Cool Whip, or some whipped cream for you purists.
A 12.5 ounce jar of butterscotch (or caramel) ice cream topping.
A 14 ounce can of Borden Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk.
A wooden mixing spoon with a handle diameter of 3/8" - 1/2".
Bake the cake mix according to the directions on the box. Use a 9" x 13" pan or two 8" pans.
While the cake is baking, mix the sweetened condensed milk and the butterscotch (or caramel) topping together in a bowl. Be sure to use a bowl large enough to hold both ingredients. Do not use the wooden spoon for this.

When you are done baking the cake, take it out of the oven and put it on a heat-resistant surface and let it cool for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven.

Holding your wooden mixing spoon by the bowl end, poke 3/8" - 1/2" vertical holes down almost all the way through the cake, all over the cake, about one inch apart.

Pour the sweetened condensed milk/butterscotch (or caramel) topping mix over the cake, concentrating on getting it into the holes.

Cover the cake and put it in your refrigerator for at least 12 hours. This is critical. If you taste the cake before that time has elapsed, it will taste gross.

Spread the Cool Whip or whipped cream over the cake.

Crumble the Heath Bar candy and sprinkle it over the Cool Whip or whipped cream.

The cake is now ready to eat. Try to control your moans and eye rolling while you eat it. If you have any leftovers, refrigerate them.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't have the individual recipes in front of me, but combine these and you'll have a cheesecake that people will be talking about for a while:
pumpkin/chocolate swirl cheesecake topped with spiced pecans, praline sauce and whipped cream. I made this for a New Year's Eve dinner dessert a few years back and I still get people asking about it.

· Registered
393 Posts
My wife makes a Fudge Filled Pistaccio (sp?) Cheesecake that's summed up in one word ... "Mmmmmm". I've got the recipe scanned in "tif" and "pdf" formats. I can e-mail you a copy, just send me an email asking for it. It really isn't that difficult to make, it just takes a special pan.
Edit: I just read through the posts, and saw you have purchased the required pan. Belive me ... this cheesecake is to die for (if you like cheesecake).

· Premium Member
1,434 Posts
before i mvoed back to MO - i sold most of the kitchen gear i had...only had room for one box of kitchen stuff in the Penske truck, so most went. have cooked a few times here, mostly for the doggies, but just cant seem to get into the groove. Did some cookies for locals that have helped me since I got back....but that's about it.
but man oh man, this is a dangerous post.
i think i put on 5 lbs just reading the recipes.:clonk:
thank heavnes I could never make a cheesecake worth a darn anyways!
it all sounds ummummm good!
MERRY CHRISTMAS ya'll!
rachael anne :waving:

· Registered
832 Posts
SweetShot said:
before i mvoed back to MO - i sold most of the kitchen gear i had...only had room for one box of kitchen stuff in the Penske truck, so most went. have cooked a few times here, mostly for the doggies, but just cant seem to get into the groove. Did some cookies for locals that have helped me since I got back....but that's about it.
but man oh man, this is a dangerous post.
i think i put on 5 lbs just reading the recipes.:clonk:
thank heavnes I could never make a cheesecake worth a darn anyways!
it all sounds ummummm good!
MERRY CHRISTMAS ya'll!
I don't wanna hear no darn excuses! I'M STILL WAITING! :D

· Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Darn it Ted, you will have to wait till CB 06!
Unless you happen to stop by Missoura, then I will bake a whole batch just for you!
I want cheesecake dammit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.