Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen a infomercial on a portable steamer. Looked like it did a pretty good job, of course, they always do. I got to thinking that one would be pretty nice to have to cleanup the Chevelle with. My engine definetly has some grime that's hard to get to. Anybody use one of these or seen one work?

------------------
JR TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

My 2001 Z28

·
Registered
714 Posts
Works better on TV than at home. We sent ours back for a refund about a week ago because my wife didn't think it did the job as shown on TV. I used it on my Z/28 block and engine compartment that had built up a little oil/dirt/grease in some of the corners and it worked pretty good. I wouldn't want to do a very greasy dirty motor or engine compartment because it might take take forever to complete. I almost wanted to keep it because it seemed for "maintenance" of a clean engine compartment it might be a nice tool to have but for 150.00 it seemed a little pricey for just that.

It did not work well on mirrors and windows (w/ attachment provided)or the tough grime on or in the oven as it shown on TV. They may have loosened it some with a chemical before.

Hope this helps some

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am sure there are steam cleaners that can be rented but I have never rented one. Probably any good industrial strength unit will work. I would think you would need to spray down engine first with some kind of degreasing solvent first like "Gunk" or something depending on the condition you are starting with. Maybe a search on the subject may find something or a new posting subject of "Steam cleaning engine compartment...what's the best way?" is in order. May get somebody with expereience on the do's and don'ts. That's what was nice about that little portable one for just tidying up was, you didn't have to worry about getting steam in water in places where you don't want it.

Good luck with your project

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought a diesel fired, gas powered, steam cleaner a while back. 3000 psi of 210 degree water flowing at 4 gpm. I've torn more stuff up with this thing than I care to admit. It will even etch concrete 1/4" down. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I love that damn thing. Cost? $3000.

They are normally sold to driveway/shop floor cleaning companies. Try calling one in your area. They may come out and spray your stuff for you. I've not seen too many for rent but they probably are.

RLK

------------------
70SS LS6 coupe
71SS LS5 elk
72SS LS5 convertible
Member #918

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
On the subject of heavy grease cleaning-IF you don't mind loosing a little paint in the engine bay and are careful where it goes, Easy-Off oven cleaner will kick some serious butt on grease removal! But as stated, it WILL eat paint with a vengance, so be careful where you spray. Used it on some parts then drove them to the local u-spray car wash, worked like a champ!

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.