Team Chevelle banner

Anybody have a violin?

2K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  OrrieG 
#1 ·
Forwarning, this is a RANT!!!:mad:

Ok, IDK when this stream of bad luck is going to end but this is getting ridiculous! I was recently laid off and with the economy and crap, I can't really find another job.
I missed my midterms to go to my grandmother's funeral and since the school system nowadays has no sympathy, they drop me from my classes!
I had to go to the doctor's because my migraines have been coming back. I then get a statement saying I'd been dropped from my parents insurance for not being in school. Then the next week I get the frickin doctor's bill! So the money I had saved up was pretty spent in an afternoon (friggin MRI's are damn expensive!).

Now my family and I are taking care of the Jaguar (long story short here is the engine blew. Took it to a shop. They made fools out of us. Ended up getting the car back with no engine and many more parts missing! Mechanic says he does not have them!). So we are going to have to move the Jaguar in to the garage so I can work on it but that means my chevelle has to go somewhere.
On my street a car can't be parked more than 48 hours. So it has to pretty much drivable. No problem, I spend all my time working on that and calculate everything and seems I will have JUST enough money for all the parts.
Yay!! Well, something was wrong with my engine combo and realized I was sold the wrong cylinder heads 8 months ago! Still trying to figure out that one!!! Went back to my doctor because the migraines are getting worse. He said one of the worst hings possible right now, "Take it easy." Yea, don't see that happening anytime soon.

Whew, just had to get all that off my chest! But you know what guys, there are so many TCers that have helped out I just wanted to thank all of you!

So, anyone got a tiny violin!?:(

See less See more
#2 ·
OHH!!! ANDDDD I sent my laptop into Cicuit City for their warranty and let me tell yo that is the biggest BS in the world! They told us when we bought it that "If yours is no longer made you can choose between a comparable one or a gift card for the FULL orignal amount including warranty cost." Well, I paid $1600 for it and $400 for the warranty, why did I get a $700 gift card? Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that I misheard the salesman! So I went down to CC and asked about the warranty and sure enough, the same thing I was told the first time! So I made the salesman talk to the warranty people and after 20 min of chatting the salesman says that he was mistaken and he was sorry! Then just had a blank stare!!

So now I got a $700 giftcard for a computer and the cheapest ones they have are $1000!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

So now I'm using the family DILL and it keeps typing in random letters and scrolling on its own!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad:

#3 ·
No violin. But I have a guitar. I guitar is kind of like a violin. Bigger, and it has frets. :D

This is in no way a mockery of your situation because it sucks. But as they say laughter is the best medicine. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
You lead such a tough life, kid. When I was your age, I was a Marine Sergeant in Vietnam.

#6 ·
I joined the Marines on September 9, 1964, shortly after my 17th birthday. I was promoted to Sergeant in January, 1967 at the age of 19, after about 2-1/2 years of service.

#7 ·
That seems vaguely familiar.

Did you post a picture in the wood stock thread with crossed M-14's, the 1st Marine Division, and on the bottom it said "This is the only wood stock I remember."

Sorry to go off topic.

#8 ·
That wasn't me, but I did have a trusty M-14. M-16's were not the weapon of choice at that time, way too unreliable.

#14 ·
When your sliding down the slope you climb harder. Eventually if you don't give up you will gain traction and make the long climb back up! It may not be to the top but you will be headed in the right direction as long as you keep digging and pulling!
There is always some kind of work out there! You are a young man and if the job pays low get a second job to balance it out! (looks good on a resume, says you are a go getter) I will tell you from experience it WILL be tough but it is the way to pull yourself up! You will also gain a lot of self esteem from the experience!
The better you feel about yourself the more you can accomplish! (I forget that myself sometimes:))
Now get out there and start living!:thumbsup:

#15 ·
When I was 25 in the early 90's, I lost a 40K a year job in manufacturing.

40K in 1991 was pretty good scratch for being 25.

I was in Government Contract manufactruring, and when the Gulf War broke out and the recession hit, there was nothing in the way of manufacturing on the East Coast.

I eventually bankrupted, sold everything I owned and moved back in with Mom back in Minnesota.

I ending up working security jobs, sorting garbage at recycling plants, any $5 an hour job I could get my hands on just for food and Phone bill.

I took control of the only thing I could and began an intense weight training regiment.

I got my bench press up to 350 max and trained daily setting short term goals I could accomplish and focused on riding out the storm, and finding valid employment in a recession economy.

As I remember it took about a year, but you don't give up, and you don't wallow in your misery.

You take charge and control of what you can, you set short term obtainable goals you can reach in any area, so that your self esteem dosen't dwindle to nothing and most importantly you never give up.

You make the best of what you got, and you keep driving.

You either take control of the situation, or you become a victim of it.

#17 ·
If you consider working 12-18 hours a day 7 days a week for less than $300 a month "getting paid", I was wallowing in dough....

#18 ·
Yes... and you were in such a nice place.... green, tropical, nice weather...

Sounds like you had it made! Just a place where a young man would want to kick back.... (of course I am kidding.)

Mike

(Our company just donated a bunch of steel for a memorial to the VietNam troops ... we were honored to be asked.)

#20 ·
Yes... and you were in such a nice place.... green, tropical, nice weather...

Sounds like you had it made! Just a place where a young man would want to kick back.... (of course I am kidding.)

Mike

(Our company just donated a bunch of steel for a memorial to the VietNam troops ... we were honored to be asked.)
Yeah it all does sound good doesn't it. That is until you throw in one crucial part of that job description. The fact those little critters shot back. And then the damn bugs, not just the copper coated ones.

My dad said when he left he was an E-4. I know how told me what the equated into but I can't remember. He was going to get promoted again. That is until he hit one of his CO's. They decided that since he was so close to leaving anyway they just wouldn't promote him. When he got back they wanted him to go to some Officers training school, they we're even going to throw in a $10,000 bonus from what I heard.

I think with a brand new '70 SS though he made the same choice I would have. :D

Once again sorry to go off topic.

#21 ·
Ryan,
To help you out a little, the salesman at Circuit City made a promise to you (expectations) that you can get a refund of the full amount. He is a representative of the company and his promise to you is actually an obligation now, regardless of what the others were saying or whats in print because at that time, it is what you were told and believed.

Company employees will do this all the time and most people think they were just duped, but in reality, they are legally responsible at that point. Search about "expectations" in business law.

#22 ·
Ryan,
To help you out a little, the salesman at Circuit City made a promise to you (expectations) that you can get a refund of the full amount. He is a representative of the company and his promise to you is actually an obligation now, regardless of what the others were saying or whats in print because at that time, it is what you were told and believed.

Company employees will do this all the time and most people think they were just duped, but in reality, they are legally responsible at that point. Search about "expectations" in business law.
And perhaps "hear-Say" Defences that Circuit City will quote after you attempt to force such a Large Corporation into submitting.

What was said verbally between the both of you and not part of the written contact is "hear say"

#24 ·
You do your homework, it will never make it to court. The cost of a laptop to circuit city isn't worth the legal costs for them. Did anyone else hear him say this? Take it to the store manager, read up on expectations. You don't have to be a lawyer for the law to defend you in this case. The only costs are your time and gas money to go back to CC. Obviously its not worth it to go to court in this case, but $1600 might be worth it to you to pursue.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh come on now, your problems are way less than you are making them out to be. For starters you are alive, which is much better than the alternative.

I have been laid off since just after the start of the year, my mother just passed away at the age of 60 on April 7th, I have to deal with her estate now and i am not even done dealing with my dads estate (yes that means he also passed away, at the age of 59 two years ago)!!!

I could go on and on as well. Instead, I decided I am going to open my own electrical company and put my life back in my hands.

Sometimes life gives you lemons, you just have to step up and make lemonade with them. Another forum I frequent, the regulars would tell you something that is partly true right now, HT*U!!! Harden the (you can figure the * out) up!!!! A curve ball has been pitched to you, now what are you going to do, swing a strike, or knock the **** out of it?

Edit: Oh yeah, and we do have a few violins here as well. My wife is quite good.
Jeff

#33 ·
Yea, I know. LOL, I've have been in and out of hospitals since middle school because of migraines. I have tried ALL the medicines and have even gone to therapy for it (sometimes very short tempered!).

Today was cool cause I just went out in the garage to work on my car and take it easy. Didn' have anything that NEEDED to be finished today (GF was surprised cause I usually have a HUGE list of things that I need to get done, but not today!) Surprising thing was, I got my hydroboost installed, the rear end is finally COMPLETELY done and installed, finished the wiring, installed the battery box, and cleaned up the garage a bit!

May have found some cash lying around too! Apparently I filled buckets and boxes FULL of parts a while ago and forgot about them! I'll definitely post what I have on here first for free, it's the least I could do!

Oh, and I dealt with the state and the rip-off mechanic today with the jaguar. Got alot of the parts from him but still no engine block or any proof of the damage.

#32 ·
a number of years ago- in the 1999/2000 time frame- i was falling behind in my bills and just getting all stressed out. i was losing sleep, and just generally in a bad mood for a few months.
then, one night while laying in bed all stressed out trying to fall asleep, i literally told myself to stop the damn worrying and just live life. i actually said it out loud to myself.
i immediately calmed down, and got the best night's sleep i'd gotten in years.
a year and a half later, i bought my house- then i really found out the meaning of "financial hardship". but i figured it out.
then, 3 years later in 2005- just as i thought i had a grasp on everything- the bottom fell out of the new house construction market in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. seeing how my job was directly tied into new home construction in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, my hours got cut way back out of nowhere and i started to get behind on the house payments. that, and my property taxes were doubling every year for some reason or another, and i think i'm the only person to ever have to pay more into the IRS every year after buying my house- everyone else i knew that bought a house got tons of money back each April, but not me.
instead of getting all stressed out, i put it on the market and sold it before they could take it from me, and move up to where i am now. i really wanted to move away from that area, anyways, so the timing of my misfortune was pretty good.
and right now, life is good.. i've still got all my toys, and i live life at a much more relaxed pace. i just need to find a place with a garage...
if you truly can't find a job- go buy an oxy/acetelyne torch setup and a beat up old 3/4 ton pickup and start chopping up scrap iron. doing hard work outside all day will make you feel better, and the payoff is really good right now and you will earn back your investment in a couple of weeks if you find some good piles of iron just sitting on someone's farm.

#34 ·
Two years ago, I quit a good job to take a better one. That job was great, got to do what I really love to do, working full time on Cat diesels. I got to travel, had great pay and benefits, everything. Then this past January, we got a new boss in my shop. I knew something was up when he took five weeks to say hi to me in passing one morning. :rolleyes: Two weeks ago, I got laid off, along with two other guys in my shop. Being low on the union totem pole when work slows down is not good. I'll be nice and leave it at that. But within 4 days, I had an interview and 2 job offers. Ended up going back to my old job, new position, much better than before, with much better pay. Life's gonna be okay. Then the wife comes home and tells me her new boss threatened a few of them today with firings if they don't get up to speed with his ridiculous standards and idiocyncrocies. :rolleyes: It never ends. You aren't the only one. The other two guys who were laid off with me, they're still not working, and other than one of them interviewing for the other position I turned down, they have nothing on their plates. You have to go out there and take charge. Don't just send in resume's online, like most companies accept these days. Send one in online, then drive down there and deliver a hard copy. Bring a couple more copies with you if you do get an interview, so everyone in the interview has a copy. This shows motivation. Make the interview go over an hour, and you'll most likely be offered a position. You can also tweak your main resume to fit different companies interests. If there are small things that could be important to one company vs. the rest, do up a specialized one placing emphasis on those unique skills that offer them more value. It does work. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.