Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am seriously thinking of upgrading to front discs while I have the Heavy Chevy in pieces. I really do not want to see a power booster under the hood, but I will if I have to.
Anyway, does anyone here have a 71 or 72 with disc brakes but no power ? If so, how is the pedal pressure ? Any worse than the drum brakes ? Any other comments ?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had manual discs on the '70 velle before I got around to doing it right. The car was a factory-original PB car, but I didn't have a booster for a couple months. I personally wouldn't go back. The pedal pressure wasn't so terrible, it just seemed as if the brakes weren't living up to their potential. I don't see why it would be terrible, but in a panic-esq situation, the brakes feel alot more, well, doing their job. Just my .02. I'd have to press really hard to get the brakes to lock, and when they did, it usually locked one of the side front tires first (I forget which). that was probably unrelated though. The pedal pressure isn't terrible for everday use, but you really have to use your leg and back to haul the thing down for anything other than putting around.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,
Thanks for the comment. I was sort of figuring that would be the answer. I guess we all get used to driving newer cars with power discs that stop on a dime, and I can just see me forgetting that in the Chevelle and getting into trouble. Other thing is that my wife also loves to drive the car, and it would make it easier on her. I already have all brand new parts for the front drums....guess they will go on e-bay

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I drove my car around for a little while with a manual stock disc/drum setup with 15/16" bore MC. Stopped just fine.

Troy

·
Registered
454 Posts
I removed my power booster,and was playing around with 1.250 and a 1.125 bore master cylinder(not sure which I use now)The brake pedal is firm and does stop good(more effort than power of course)
The old woman is scared to ride in it let alone drive it.But thats a good thing right!
-Kid

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had a 72 Elcamino that came with manual discs. I do not know if it was orig, but it did have a correct 15/16" bore (as I remember) manual disc/drum master because I did have to replace it. The car stopped ok, it did take a little extra effort though. If I was doing the conversion I would use the power booster. I feel the brakes are an important item and why not allow them work to the full potential.

·
Registered
777 Posts
A couple of things Bill, first, these cars came with a 1" bore manual MC from the factory and the pedal feel was a little firm. There has been a lot of work done by members of this board on different setups, including myself that may help out. The first thing I would recommend if you are doing the stock disk/drum setup is to look at a 77 Malibu 6 cylinder manual disk/drum MC. This MC does have the slightly smaller 15/16" bore and works well in a stock setup. If you start getting into different calipers or different diameter rotors, then the choices get complicated! Also, if you wanted to play around with some stuff, there a some truck calipers that have a larger piston size, therefore, they generate more braking torque and make the pedal feel easier... but I've never tried those in a stock setup.

Bottom line for me, I've got the 77 Malibu MC on my manual disk/drum Nova and really like the ease and feel of it. I also have manual 4-wheel disks on the Chevelle and really like the feel of those. My wife complained the first few times she drove it after switching to manual, but then I changed out the calipers and went to better pads and now it doesn't even feel like manual brakes! She has no problems driving it now...

Best of luck,
Bill C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts