Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Believe it or not....my fiancee and I plan to drive from Northeast Arkansas in my ' 70 Chevelle with a fresh 355 hyd. roller and aluminum heads...to Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise on our HONEYMOON! I love this woman! Has anyone been? Is it all they make it out to be? How are the cops on loud exhaust (1 Chamber Flows with Hooker Super Comp. headers, 3 inch pipe...really loud). How are they on barking tires, burnouts, or racing....what are some good tuning tips for the long drive and long cruise....and what can I expect out of the experience?
Thanks guys....hope to see y'all there!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I live a mile and a half from woodward. all i can say i OH MY GOD!! there is way to much to see and do. Do it! you wont regret it. I was thinking of asking some of the team chevelle members if they want to meet at my house. If you need help with hotels or places to eat or just anything i would be more then happy to help a fellow chevelle nut.

Dave
72 malibu
hugger orange

[This message has been edited by Grumpy (edited 12-17-99).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Justin,

Ditto everything Grumpy said. It's just too hard to imagine! So many cars & not enough cops to bust everyone, so you just have to play the odds! Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of cops there, but you still see smoke everywhere you look. Car Craft has a brief story on it this month, but you have to see it to give it justice. 15 miles, 4 lanes each way, PACKED with cars... Just hope your car runs cool! There were quite a few cars running hoodless cause of the temps.

As for the exhaust thing, you won't have anything to worry about. They were letting people cruise with open headers this year so don't even run the mufflers!

My advice is to get there a couple days early. We are planning on heading up Wed morning to get some good cruising in. We heard that there's a street named Telegraph Road up there that still has some "after-hours" matchups, so we're planning on checking that out as well.

I can't wait, can you tell? 8 mos away, ugh!

Anyways here's the main site www.dreamcruise.org . You can get some good info there as well as check out some pics. (I had the wrong link, fixed on 12-26-99)

Let's get in touch with each other on meeting up when it gets closer.

Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396 www.chevelles.com/feature/september99.html
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 12-26-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 12-26-1999).]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I went this year and it was a blast until the Cops in Ferndale ran us out of town. They were giving tickets to people holding signs for cruisers to do burnouts. Seen a lot of Chevelles there. I seen three Winged Mopars 2 Daytona Chargers and 1 Superbird. Still more Chevy's than anything though. It is the biggest traffic jam of cruisers I have ever seen. I will be bringing one of the Chevelles there next year.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

[This message has been edited by plain 69 (edited 12-20-1999).]

·
Registered
648 Posts
i live very near the cruise too, you'll love it. the whole week prior to the cruise on aug 19th in 2000 will be great. as far as places to stay go, plan now, many along the route espically, are already reserved. hope to see you guys there, it's a great time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will definetly be there, as long as my Chevelle is finished by then... Even I fI have to trailer it up there, It's going. and if I can't get the Chevelle up there, then my Grand Prix is going. I swear this.
"There is no try - only do, or do not."
Yoda - Jedi Master

------------------
Scott, 20
Dallas, 70 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any organized activities planned for this year...or have there been any in the past? Swap meets...drag racing...memorabilia stands? Or is all of this very informal?
Where are the hot places to go for after hours racing? I plan on gettin spanked by the big boys...just to say that I have...I have only a low 13 to very high 12 sec. car. But she is a daily driver so not many can really say that...and I mean every day. Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Oh by the way...what are some good cheap places to stay close to Woodward? I don't care about the eating out and such...I can live off of soda and lunch meat out of the cooler. Since I am driving right at 800 miles one way from Jonesboro, Arkansas at an average of 10 miles to the gallon....let's see....carry the 9...yep...it's balogna sandwiches for this gearhead and his brand new bride on their honeymoon!
Cheapskate?.....nope! Just bitten by the need for speed...and the travel to the "Mecca of Muscle Cars".....Woodward!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just realized i put the wrong link up above! Doh! Anyhow, here's the official site:
http://www.dreamcruise.org

Here's a list of the hotels in & around Woodward Ave:
http://www.dreamcruise.org/99_website/travel_info.html

We usually stay in a little off Woodward at a hotel called the Drury Inn in Troy MI http://www.druryinn.com/room/reservation/detroit.htm
Great place & great area. We usually spend about $80 a night there for rooms. It's about 10 minutes off of Woodward, right about the middle of the cruise.
We also live off the bare essentials while we're up there, pizza & beverages

As for the street scene, We've heard about a couple places after the cruise, but haven't had a chance to check any of them out yet. This year we're heading up a couple days earlier & will be looking for them! Hopefully we can meet up with John & Grumpy to show us the local spots!

Jake

------------------
Black 66 SS396 www.chevelles.com/feature/september99.html
Tubby's Drive In
members.xoom.com/Pgh_Knights/
Pittsburgh PA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.