Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to shoot a sportbike a cool metalic Lapsis blue from HOK and I will be putting on chrome decals. What is the best way to burry them in the clear?

I have heard horror stories of traping solvents etc.. So I am thinking of aplying them dirrectly over fresh basecoat that has set up for 5-6 hours and then clearing over everything, that way I am still inside the 24 hour window and hopefully the base has flashed well enough.

Another thought is to clear over the base and then just ride it for a month and let the clear harden then clean apply intercoat over everything ie.. the new stickers and the old clear and then clear over everything that i just intercoated..

What do you guys recomend? I know somebody has done this before.

Honda cleared over the factory decals on the steel tank but then applied stickers over the base clear on the plastic without any clear on top.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey, They do it all the time now on vintage BSA oil bottles with the Piled Arms Logo. I don't know what Clear they use though and the decals are advertized as " Paintable "

Tony

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Never painted them on a car before but my other hobby is rc for over 27 years and I use bc/cc for the planes I build. On decals that have a shine to them we just knock off the shine with fine steel wool just to break the glaze.
If the ones that your talking about are ready for paint I would think as long as they look flat they are ok. You can always shoot a test before taking the chance.

Chuck

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So are we in agree that I should put them on the base after it has set a few hours?

I will try a test though always the best thing to do if you have time.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Again only rc hobby experience here but no I would shoot the base. Then
one or two coats of clear then the decals. If you put on the decals and
you have any problems you would need to get it off, the base is screwed
and you would have to start over with it. If you do it after the 1st or
second coat of clear you can just remove them and clean the clear and
re due it. The problem with decals is you need to make sure they are very
flat with no bubbles or after you clear them the bubbles will eventually
break. Having the clear under the decal will save the base but it Will look
bad. Take your time putting on the decals, If they are pen stripes its pretty
easy to do without bubbles. Anything bigger I would use windex or they have
a setting solution they sell that lets you place (slide) the decals some and
use a squeegee to work out any bubbles caught in there. Work from the middle out.
Let the solution under the decals dry then clear coat.

Good luck
Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts