Team Chevelle banner

Any YouTubers Here?

3803 Views 87 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  bulletpruf
I started a YouTube channel a few years ago and finally started posting some vintage car and truck content. At this point, I only have video of Project Brutus - '87 F350 dually field find rescue - but I'll have some Chevy content in the not too distant future. My channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgryrF3kzdti0bH4tTb2p9Q

Any other YouTubers? Anyone have any tips on content, increasing subscriptions, etc? I have a real job (active duty Army), but I'm trying to grow my channel as my career winds down.

Thanks

Scott

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

· Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I have had YouTube channel for like 10+ years, I likely won't make any $$ ever but enjoy providing content and helping out other hot rodders... Finally, running drag car engine - YouTube
stuff like this windstar fan controller gets a lot of views; but then I get videos with like 12 views lol
Hayden 3653 electric fan controller install on Windstar fan - YouTube

It is fun watching my old videos (for instance my '88 Chev dually truck build) and seeing the progress
Take a ride with me in my truck! I deliver a load to the scrap yard! - YouTube

It also comes in handy for sending videos for tech assistance for things; you can send a video to a tech guy/message form to explain things better..
Shifnoid solenoid shifter demostration/Elite RPM controller - YouTube

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I have had YouTube channel for like 10+ years, I likely won't make any $$ ever but enjoy providing content and helping out other hot rodders... Finally, running drag car engine - YouTube
stuff like this windstar fan controller gets a lot of views; but then I get videos with like 12 views lol
Hayden 3653 electric fan controller install on Windstar fan - YouTube

It is fun watching my old videos (for instance my '88 Chev dually truck build) and seeing the progress
Take a ride with me in my truck! I deliver a load to the scrap yard! - YouTube

It also comes in handy for sending videos for tech assistance for things; you can send a video to a tech guy/message form to explain things better..
Shifnoid solenoid shifter demostration/Elite RPM controller - YouTube
Hey what kind of drag car was that? I saw BBC, 12 bolt, but just a glimpse of a taillight - is it a 70 Monte Carlo? Anyway, it sounded really healthy. Also subscribed to your channel.

EDIT - just noticed your avatar and user name, so I'm guessing that's the car in the video. Very nice.

· Registered
985 Posts
I just bought a Canon R7 with DM-E1D mic and an RF 24-70mm 2.8 lens. As if that wasn't enough, I bought a DJI gimble and will be testing everything out this weekend locally and then at the Grand national Roadster Show next month. It should take a little time for me to figure it all out.

· Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Hey what kind of drag car was that? I saw BBC, 12 bolt, but just a glimpse of a taillight - is it a 70 Monte Carlo? Anyway, it sounded really healthy. Also subscribed to your channel.

EDIT - just noticed your avatar and user name, so I'm guessing that's the car in the video. Very nice.
Hi Bullet, Thanks for subscribing! It is a '70 Monte Carlo with a 13-1 compression 482 BBC and a big roller cam, hoping to finally get some bracket racing in this year for 2023..

· Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Do you mind my asking what you are using for a camera and microphone ?
Hi Bill, I used a knockoff GoPro called a Eken H9R camera. Amazon.com : New EKEN H9R Action Camera 4K WiFi Waterproof Sports Camera Full HD 4K30 2.7K30 1080p60 720p120 Video Camera 20MP Photo and 170 Wide Angle Lens Includes 11 Mountings Kit 2 Batteries Black : Electronics

I used the microphone from the camera, the mic actually isn't very good..It is just with my smaller garage and and the loud car it creates a echo that I think amplifies the sound. I bought a "new/used" GoPro8 in the fall and am much happier with it, I don't have to speak loudly when doing videos..

· Super Moderator
10,347 Posts
Hi Bill, I used a knockoff GoPro called a Eken H9R camera.

I thought it was pretty darn good. Especially for that price. Does it have a jack for an external mic if you want ? Sort of looks like exactly what I need. I was thinking of giving you tube a shot. I have put a few short videos up but nothing exiting :) My cell phone is terrible as far as audio goes and I dont want to bring my good Nikon DSLR here to the shop to get ruined :)

· Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Hi Bill, that would be a cool idea! I have watched several machine shop channels and they are informative and entertaining; it would be great to have you "spread the knowledge"...
I don't think there is any jack for external mics for the Eken , I thought I saw a thread somewhere in the internet where someone figured it out?...Here is a video when I am talking about the PS pump in the truck (this is the Eken camera)..
It is looking more like a truck now, 2021-05-11 - YouTube
I needed to talk louder to get the mic to pickup my voice or people needed to increase the volume on their speakers..

This is a recent video where I used the GoPro8, where the mic picks up the sound way better..

Merry Christmas 2022! and some plans for the drag car - YouTube

· Registered
1967 Chevelle, daily driver, LM7 5.3 swap.
37 Posts

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Hi Bullet, Thanks for subscribing! It is a '70 Monte Carlo with a 13-1 compression 482 BBC and a big roller cam, hoping to finally get some bracket racing in this year for 2023..
Very nice! What do you think it will run in the 1/4?

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I thought it was pretty darn good. Especially for that price. Does it have a jack for an external mic if you want ? Sort of looks like exactly what I need. I was thinking of giving you tube a shot. I have put a few short videos up but nothing exiting :) My cell phone is terrible as far as audio goes and I dont want to bring my good Nikon DSLR here to the shop to get ruined :)
Bill - you really need to ensure you have good audio before you post anything. If you check out the videos on my channel, the two videos of the 1972 Bronco have lousy audio and it really seems to hurt the performance. Not nearly the views that I think these videos would have with good audio.

Anyway, one thing that I think is quite true -- folks will watch videos with grainy audio, but they won't watch video with bad audio.

I just use a simple mic that's hardwired to my camera. Maybe $15 on Amazon? Works great.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
The key to success is either having a video good enough that viewers share it or if youtube decides they’re going to push it through mass suggestion.
Agreed. BTW, 15-20 views a day isn't bad. With that pace, you'll hit triple digits before too long. However, I suspect you'll need more content than that if you want to get monetized.

· Registered
6,903 Posts
Agreed. BTW, 15-20 views a day isn't bad. With that pace, you'll hit triple digits before too long. However, I suspect you'll need more content than that if you want to get monetized.
I assume this was meant for me. The video I was referring to isn't getting 15-20 views. Youtube is only pushing it to 15-20 reaches/impressions a day. Which is beyond garbage.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I assume this was meant for me. The video I was referring to isn't getting 15-20 views. Youtube is only pushing it to 15-20 reaches/impressions a day. Which is beyond garbage.
Gotcha. That's not a lot.

· Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Very nice! What do you think it will run in the 1/4?
Hi Bulletpruf, It ran low 7's in the 1/8. I think with proper shifting etc I can get to high 6s (in the 1/8). High 6s (in the 1/8) is around high 10s in the 1/4..

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Hi Bulletpruf, It ran low 7's in the 1/8. I think with proper shifting etc I can get to high 6s (in the 1/8). High 6s (in the 1/8) is around high 10s in the 1/4..
That's moving out! How much does the car weigh?

61 - 80 of 88 Posts