Team Chevelle banner

Any YouTubers Here?

3803 Views 87 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  bulletpruf
I started a YouTube channel a few years ago and finally started posting some vintage car and truck content. At this point, I only have video of Project Brutus - '87 F350 dually field find rescue - but I'll have some Chevy content in the not too distant future. My channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgryrF3kzdti0bH4tTb2p9Q

Any other YouTubers? Anyone have any tips on content, increasing subscriptions, etc? I have a real job (active duty Army), but I'm trying to grow my channel as my career winds down.

Thanks

Scott

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
To make it count, seems its a full time thing for most. I hear if you link everything to a FB, IG, tiktok account that helps? have no intention of ever joining so what would work against the goal perhaps?
Forgot to answer this. I started a FB page a few weeks ago for the channel. It's really not much use at this point, but I haven't shared it with my FB friends, at least not yet. If I did, I'd get a boost in folks subscribing to my page. Without sharing it with my FB friends, it's really just a placeholder at this point, and may be helpful if/when the YT channel gets more popular.

I also have an Instagram account for the channel that I started maybe 6 weeks ago. I have about 20 followers, and I think 18 of them are really attractive women who just want me to pay a fee to see nekkid pics of them. Again, it's more of a placeholder at this point for if/when the channel gains popularity.

Bottom line -- if you don't have an IG or FB account, that's not a limiting factor. It will just help drive views and subscriptions once you get more popular. At least in my opinion.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Several months have passed so I guess it's time for an update. I'm at 694 subscribers and 2,700 watch hours. I'm on track to hit 1,000 subscribers in a few months (December/January) and I should hit 4,000 watch hours then or shortly thereafter.

I have 11 videos up now, mostly of my F350 crew cab diesel dually rescue (Project Brutus). Also have a few of Project Crusty, a $1,400 1972 Bronco that I saved from the scrapper. I have a project car overview video, too, for stuff that hasn't hit the channel yet ('66 Fairlane GT convt, 428/4 sp; 68 Lemans convt, 455/TH400, 71 Javelin road race project, 401, 4 sp; and 69 Bronco project, 302, 3 sp).

I'm finding that my tech content (Dana 60 front diff rebuild, for example) is getting more views than I expected. And the video that I thought would take off - '72 Bronco first start in 20 years - has fallen flat.

I'm still posting 2 or so videos per month, and have 2 more that I need to finish editing.

My videos are getting better as I get more experience - using transitions between scenes, inserting music (I use Epidemicsound.com for non-copyright songs), and good thumbnails for each video (I use canva.com).

Anyway, it's been fun doing the videos, and it will be nice to have some extra income, but I don't expect to be retiring off what I make from YouTube. Just hope to keep it going with a video or two per month for the next several years.

Scott
Time for a quick update. I'm at 808 subscribers and 3,266 public watch hours. I think I'll hit the required 1,000 subs and 4,000 watch hours in January or so.

I'm editing a monster video now on the ZF-5 trans disassembly from my F350. It was 6 hours of video when I uploaded the clips I'm going to use. I have to cut it down to an hour or less, but it will take many hours of editing before it's ready to post.

I overhauled all of my thumbnails and I think that has helped.

Thanks again for all the input!

Scott

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, for some reason, I have really gained some momentum. I guess YouTube must be pushing my videos. Anyway, I have 4,058 public watch hours and 989 subscribers. I should pick up 11 subscribers overnight, so I expect to be eligible for monetization tomorrow.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ok, so once you hit the threshold for monetization, there are a few steps. You have to turn on 3 factor authentication or something like that. Then apply for an AdSense account. Once those are complete (took me a day or two for approval), then you can apply to be monetized. That took 2 more days. From there, you have to select which videos you want monetized (I selected all, of course) and then what types of ads.

Looks like I'm bringing in a few $ a day, so I'm guessing my first check will be around $100.

In the meantime, my momentum seems to have dropped off. I'm still getting views and new subscribers, but not at the pace I hit in late November/early December.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
A few dollars a day with a couple hundred views a day? It took me awhile just to get $1.00 a day lol.

Since you are American, make sure you fill out your tax forms for Youtube/Adsense.
I just posted a 45-minute video (ZF-5 transmission disassembly) that's getting a lot of views, so maybe I'll end up with a few extra $.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
A few dollars a day with a couple hundred views a day? It took me awhile just to get $1.00 a day lol.

Since you are American, make sure you fill out your tax forms for Youtube/Adsense.
Just checked. I'm averaging 500 views per day and 50 watch hours per day.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Just shy of 1,300 subscribers. Looks like I'm picking up a few hundred subs per month; hope to gradually increase the pace on that. Also have 19 videos up; hope to continue with about 2 videos per month.

Still waiting on the first pay period to end. I don't think I'll hit $100; looks more like $80 or so.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ok, so I finished my first full month monetized and YouTube owes me $58.77 or something like that. They don't send you a payment until you have at least $100 in the account, so I guess I'm in the penalty box for now.

Anyway, the $58.77 was earned in a 30 day period where I had close to 1,500 watch hours and about 1,200 subscribers total.

$58.77 isn't enough to fill up my daily with gas, but it's a start. Figure I need to double it about 4 times until I can make enough on YT to cover a decent car payment, and that's going to take some time.

· Registered
284 Posts
Nothing professional just some thrown together videos of random vehicles. I hope when I get to working on the Chevelle, I will have more videos that may draw some views. Money wouldn't be bad either. My boys have been harping to let them have a YouTube channel for years but they are way too young. Its crazy how many people watch others just play some video games. Guess it just the younger version of use watching car vids!

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Nothing professional just some thrown together videos of random vehicles. I hope when I get to working on the Chevelle, I will have more videos that may draw some views. Money wouldn't be bad either. My boys have been harping to let them have a YouTube channel for years but they are way too young. Its crazy how many people watch others just play some video games. Guess it just the younger version of use watching car vids!
Subscribed!

41 - 60 of 88 Posts