Team Chevelle banner

Any YouTubers Here?

3803 Views 87 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  bulletpruf
I started a YouTube channel a few years ago and finally started posting some vintage car and truck content. At this point, I only have video of Project Brutus - '87 F350 dually field find rescue - but I'll have some Chevy content in the not too distant future. My channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgryrF3kzdti0bH4tTb2p9Q

Any other YouTubers? Anyone have any tips on content, increasing subscriptions, etc? I have a real job (active duty Army), but I'm trying to grow my channel as my career winds down.

Thanks

Scott

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
6,903 Posts
I wouldn't call myself a Youtuber, but I make videos here and there. It's a tough gig to be "successful", which is a relative term as to what you'd consider as success from it. Much of it is so highly dependent on the Youtube algorithms. You could have the best video ever, but if YT doesn't reach it to the viewers, you will never get the views. Some standard tricks that important to grow your channel and get views would be:

• Good thumbnails. I despise clickbait, but having a thumbnail that captures the essence of your video in an interesting way will get people to click on it.
  • Stick with a theme for your channel. I'm guilty of this, but that's because I don't care, but ideally you want your channel to be orientated around a single subject. So for you, vehicles/mechanics I'd assume.
  • Use any form of social media to increase engagement. The YT posts and shorts. Instagram. Facebook, etc.
  • Post regularly. The more you post videos, the more YT will shove it down people's throats and you will get the views.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't call myself a Youtuber, but I make videos here and there. It's a tough gig to be "successful", which is a relative term as to what you'd consider as success from it. Much of it is so highly dependent on the Youtube algorithms. You could have the best video ever, but if YT doesn't reach it to the viewers, you will never get the views. Some standard tricks that important to grow your channel and get views would be:

• Good thumbnails. I despise clickbait, but having a thumbnail that captures the essence of your video in an interesting way will get people to click on it.
  • Stick with a theme for your channel. I'm guilty of this, but that's because I don't care, but ideally you want your channel to be orientated around a single subject. So for you, vehicles/mechanics I'd assume.
  • Use any form of social media to increase engagement. The YT posts and shorts. Instagram. Facebook, etc.
  • Post regularly. The more you post videos, the more YT will shove it down people's throats and you will get the views.
Good point on the thumbnails. I need to re-do all of mine; I just initially went with whatever YT picked out when it was uploading, but they're not ideal.

Gotcha on the theme. I do have one non-automotive video that I uploaded a few years ago that I kept - it's baby armadillos rooting around in my backyard. It went quasi-viral (got 187,000 views) and I'm hesitant to delete it because I don't know if that would impact my subscribers or my stats.

Eventually, I plan to start a Facebook page for the channel. Maybe Instagram too at some point.

I'm trying to post a new video about every week, but I can't quite manage to do so. It's averaging around 10 days, I think, because of family, work, etc. Lots of competing demands.

Thanks for the input!

· Gold Founding Member
40,784 Posts
I watch a lot of Steve Lehto's videos. He's a Lawer up in Minnesota that specializes in Lemon Law and has hundreds of Lehto's Law videos and I think he has a couple million viewers.
Also watch a lot of Adventures Made From Scratch videos which is a guy down in Hutcheon Kansas that has big Wreaking Yards.

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I watch a lot of Steve Lehto's videos. He's a Lawer up in Minnesota that specializes in Lemon Law and has hundreds of Lehto's Law videos and I think he has a couple million viewers.
Also watch a lot of Adventures Made From Scratch videos which is a guy down in Hutcheon Kansas that has big Wreaking Yards.
I'll check those out! thanks!

· Registered
985 Posts
I started a channel about 12 years ago unaware that it could make money. I shoot Hot Rod Boats and Cars and don't put much effort into it. Here's a view into the analytics of a portion of my videos. The Channel name is vdrivevideo. Like you, my plan is to supplement my retirement income with this so I'll work harder at it at that point.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Pattern

· Registered
985 Posts
Wow, very impressive! I subscribed; let me know if your dad ever decides to sell the 427 powered T-bird!
Thanks!
Unfortunately, Dad sold the T-Bird back in 2000 and passed away in 2003. :(

I don't feel qualified to critique anyone's channel or give advice, but I will share what little I've learned.

1000 subscribers and 4000 public watch hours are required for monetization. Once you achieve that, they won't pay you until you reach $100.
Your content must be yours. You can't achieve monetization by uploading copyrighted video or music.
As stated by someone else in this thread, the thumbnail is critical. Think of it the same way you do when you select a video to view. What drew you in?
View count as well as view duration greatly contribute to your earnings.
People have very short attention spans and need immediate and constant stimulation, the second they aren't entertained, they'll click off and go somewhere else.
Most views come from youtube "suggesting" your vids. You have no control over that and I'm not sure how they determine which videos they will aggressively or passively suggest to viewers.
More subscribers helps!
It helps to keep your video subject matter consistant with the theme of the channel. For example, if you want to share cooking advice, start a different channel for that.
I've learned a lot from studying other people's content and channels in general.

Good luck, and I intend to give a long look at your content. (y)

· Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like he was a pretty cool guy.

Subscribers are coming along slowly. I'm at 500 now; at this rate, it will be a several more months before I hit 1,000. I'm in no huge rush, but at some point, I may try Instagram or at least create a Facebook page for the channel.

All my content is mine at this point. I just started using music this last video; all non-copyrighted songs, of course.

I figured YouTube would be the wild card -- if they start recommending me, I should see a big jump in views and subscribers.

My content is consistent with one glaring exception. One of the videos on my channel is one that I took in the backyard last year of some baby armadillos. I don't think I would call it viral, but it has almost 169,000 views, so I'm hesitant delete it because it may still be drawing viewers to my channel.

Thanks!

Scott

· Registered
6,903 Posts
I started a channel about 12 years ago unaware that it could make money. I shoot Hot Rod Boats and Cars and don't put much effort into it. Here's a view into the analytics of a portion of my videos. The Channel name is vdrivevideo. Like you, my plan is to supplement my retirement income with this so I'll work harder at it at that point.

View attachment 744831
Thanks for sharing the sometimes secret part of youtube. Can't complain about $41k from making videos haha.

· Registered
6,903 Posts
1000 subscribers and 4000 public watch hours are required for monetization
View count as well as view duration greatly contribute to your earnings.
Most views come from youtube "suggesting" your vids. You have no control over that and I'm not sure how they determine which videos they will aggressively or passively suggest to viewers.
I believe the 4000 hours has to be within a 12 month period too
Watch time is huge. Not only do the longer videos allow for more ads (8 minutes min is a key number now) but I believe it makes a difference to the youtube algorithms. YT is more likely to push a video that has several minutes of watch time vs one that is only 20 seconds long.
I wish there was more control over how YT kicks out your videos. In my experience I've found that YT will keep my reach/impressions about the same, regardless if I upload new videos. It seems like they will reduce the impressions of other videos to balance for the new impressions I get from a recent upload. That is frustrating. If you are fortunate to strike big on 1 or 2 videos, then you will get the subscribers which will greatly increase your views within the first 24 hrs of posting a video, which I think can help trigger YT to suggest it to others.

· Registered
12,278 Posts
What would it take to make say 1000 or 2 a month?
Need to supplement income and considered this but dont want to make it my entire life
responding to people...not on FB or any social media. Guess it would help

As a watcher...major turnoffs.
Super long vids 20, 30 min sorry. Especially when 90 percent of it is irrelevant filler...someone filming themsevlves yapping away, just irrelevant stuff. Get the friggin point!!

THumbnails....make sure its in the vid

Womens....sex sells just the way it is. Get one in there at some point can be totally tasteful
One channel just films this guys wife doing stuff around the house..she hot and its family friendly I bet they make a fortune. Guys subscribe just to make a comment...and get a response.

I like watching stuff that isnt a repeat of a million repeat like vids. Make yours a little different

Fact filled vids that are no more than 10-12min long I may take a look at. But jabbering..nope

· Registered
6,903 Posts
What are you guys using for cameras ?
GoPro's for the most part. I also have a Canon T6i I got for free. Honestly, modern smart phones have such good cameras that I use that for so much now.

· Super Moderator
10,347 Posts
GoPro's for the most part. I also have a Canon T6i I got for free. Honestly, modern smart phones have such good cameras that I use that for so much now.
I have a real nice Nikon DSLR but dont really want to bring it to the shop and get it filthy :( The only issue I have with my phone is the audio stinks. Might have to try an external mic.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts