Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the dash bezel that houses the gauges. The one in the car needs some repair and I need to install a fuel gauge(small autometer in the clock area). The previous owner installed a large autometer speedo and tach in place of the stock gauges and they both need to be hooked up. I unscrewed the bezel but it must have some clips or the gauges holding it in place.
Any tips on removal and the best an least expensive place to send this bezel for restoring it will be appreciated. I ran into a guy that spent $400 for the restoration. I think that's a bit much.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Easiest way to remove it is with the gauges still attached. You will have to disconnect all of the wires from the gauges, as well as the speedometer cable. Also remove wire from the cigarette lighter. The Heat/AC control can remain in the dash. You will also need to lower the steering column.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Drop the steering column first.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
First, remove the ashtray, ashtray retainer, radio and dash bezel cover below the steering column.

I like to lower the steering column first, but not completely, leave the two nuts on the bottom of the studs. Place a rag over the steering column where it goes through the dash bezel (keep from scatching it).

Remove all the outer dash bezel screws, and any that may be attached below the bezel to the dash frame. Slowly lower the bezel and gauges onto the steering column. Remove all the wires to the gauges (including background light wires)(also, all the lights and connections are labeled by color on the back of the gauges), light switch, lighter and headlight switch. You will have to unscrew the heater control and any AC ductwork if you have it. Leave the heater / AC contol with cables attached to the car.

Usually there is a large wire harness that goes across the top of the gauges and is attached with a plastic piece and that will have to be disconnected (the plastic piece) as well.

The bezel should be free at this point.

This is probably more than what you will have to do since you dash has been modified already, but anyone else doing this may find this helpful for removing a stock set-up.

Woj

·
Registered
114 Posts
In my experience, I thought this sucked. If you remove all the wires from the back of the gauges then you better know where to put them back. Dropping the steering column is easy. Two bolts right under the small steering column cover.

my .02

------------------
KEEP RIDIN'

JOHN
1969 Chevelle
http://www.geocities.com/w_surfer99/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.