Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, I have taken the carpet and underlayment out of 2 cars to replace it.One was a ' 69 S.S. 396-350 4 spd. car, the other was my '72 Malibu 350-auto. On the floor right next to the tranny tunnel on the '72 was a new shiny '72 quarter, glued to the floor with the same adhesive they used to stick the underlayment down with.The ' 69 had a '68 dime glued to the floor right under the steering column, up next to the front of the seat.I haven't ever heard anyone talk about finding things like this before.In the ' 71 S.S. I used to have , I found a couple of old beer pop tops inside the panels in back, inside the compartment where the rear window rollers are located.I've always heard stories about all kinds of things going on in the G.M. factory.You know, never buy a car made on Friday or Monday,all the guys are trying to leave on Friday, all hung over on Monday. Any one else found anything strange in their cars?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Very Interesting! I cant wait to hear what other people have found!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
My first restoration project was my '72 SS-454 El Camino. I bought it about 10 years ago. I didn't know any thing about how to identify a real one vs a clone at that time. One day we removed the carpet. I found a build sheet and I was excited to have a piece of documentation.

But then I looked at the build sheet. The first thing I saw was "L48 350 4-bbl". Drat !

Later I went to piece the build sheet pieces together. I noticed an option listed as "Defogger". Hmm... Wait a minute. You can't get a rear window defogger in an El Camino !?

I then decided to locate and check the numbers on the block. The block's VIN ended in 4109. I looked at the VIN plate on the dash. It said 4108. What the ???

I looked at the build sheet again. It said 4109. Double what the ???

So then I bought some decoding books. The engine checked out as a 1972 LS5 with automatic and A.I.R, just like it should be. It was also built about the right time.
The VIN had a "W" as the 5th digit, indicating a 454. Whew !

But what about the build sheet. Further research showd that it was a build sheet for a 1972 350 Monte Carlo, serial number 4109. Apparently, it was the car following my El Camino down the assembly line.

Why my block was stamped with the Monte Carlo number (4109) insted of my car's number (4108) remains a mystery.

The factory can foul things up !

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
80 Posts
When I lifted the carpet, I found a rusted-out hole in the floor pan. Bummer. Good thing it was in my wife's mustang rather than my Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Well, found some toothpicks, aluminum foil!(seemed to factory aluminum foil
), but the only thing of real interest was the factory tag stuck to the underside of the carpet that stated the color, composition, and correct vehicles for the type of carpet. The carpet was made in Compton, CA (I've got a Van Nuys built '70).

I guess some info is better than none.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just pulled out the interior of my '71 SS convertible and the carpet pulling revealed nothing of real interest but when I pulled the driver side kick panel I found something very interesting. It was a vintage mint condition but very dusty Sucrets box filled with amphetamines (little red hearts and crosses). Since I sometimes take this car to Edwards Air Force Base where they do random dog-sniffing drug searches it could have been quite a problem. If you're curious, I kept the box but flushed the evidence.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 09-27-99).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
I found a puddle of antifreeze under the passenger side carpet when the heater core went bad (the first time!) about a year ago. That was not a happy day.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
72 Chevelle
Team Chevelle #298

·
Registered
149 Posts
I found the floor braces because the floor is pretty much gone.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible
North Vernon, IN

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I searched everwhere for a build sheet, under seats, behind door panels, found pieces of one under the rear seat but seats had been recovered before I purchased the car. I figured I'd never find one, so i'm into the restoration and start removing the interior, removed the carpet, nothing there. Started removing the sound deading and found it in the passenger side front floor, it was in pretty bad shape, it wasn't tore up , but I guess the heat from the exhaust over the years kinda softened the sound deadening, the build sheet was kinda black on one the left side, my friend talked me into soaking it in kerosene and it worked, it removed most of the tar from it and you can read it pretty well now. Thats all I found under mine, but thats enough for me.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Behind the drivers side molding which is over the door at the headliner I found a letter to the original owner from his church, also found 3 mouse nests between the hood insulation and the hood.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I found a HUGE ring behind my back seat. I mean gorilla finger size. I had it checked out and found it wasn't worth a thing.
kevin d

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I removed the rear seat on my 67 and under the carpet on the passenger rear side I found a 67 penny and it had to be put there by the people on the line.

------------------
Thanks In Advance!
John Corbin
67' Chevelle Malibu Sleeper
San Antonio, Texas

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
My cars been somewhat restored by someone before but not very good at all (carpet replacement but not original style, new aftermarket headliner, new paint, bondo job etc.) and outside underneath on one of the upper control arms is a rusty wrench! Someone either got it stuck on there or its there holding the arm on

·
Registered
66 Posts
When replacing the interior in my 70 Elky, I found a total of sixty-five cents. They started in 1970 and went until 1981 a year before it was parked for good by owner until I bought it.

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
About ten years ago while helping a guy with his first chevelle we found a class of 68 ring under the carpet .We sent it to the school that was on the ring . We never found out if it got back to the owner.

------------------

·
Registered
826 Posts
We pulled the front carpet about halfway back to install the floor shifter. Some nice items probably got away because someone has already done a (not so hot) carpet replacement job. We did find a movie ticket stub that cost $1.75 though. Man, how long ago was that? When I was a kid (not too too long ago) it was $1.50 for the Saturday matinee.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.