Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-C...01QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6164QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Im not the most up on my 69SS cars. I been searching for several years now and have been researching the signs of the real thing, but im a 66 guy myself, and been hoping to add a 69 next to the 66.

Can you 69 folks look over this auction to see if there are any red flags or things that may not add up? Strongly thinking about bidding. Whats a fair price for something like this if it is what it is? The seller does seem pretty honest.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Is there a build sheet with the car? Looks like alot of rust repair!
One thing that I would ask about is if that's the original inner fenders.
Isn't that some part of the A/C mounted on the pass. inner fender? If
so, that rules out the claim of L-78.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Firewall and dash are non-AC, so the inner fender is probably not original. This could still be an L78 car.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Very interesting car. It will still cost a ton of money to bring it up to speed. I wouldn't pay L78 prices without some documentation or an original block, which it doesn't look like he has either.

Overall, I don't see any red flags, but then again, you can only judge so much from pictures. If you are serious, I'd travel to see the car before trying to win it. You could save yourself a lot of headaches if this thing isn't what it appears.

Good luck.

Woj.

69 SS x 2, 69 Malibu, 69 Camaro

Just reviewed the auction one more time, it looks like it was originally a manual shift with bench seat (judging from the current hump on the floor), this is no big deal, he also includes a new hump for bucket seat. Also, I'd ask to see a picture of the cowl tag to see if it has the famous "L" on it. That is not definitive proof, but so far it has held up indicating a big block car for 69.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Also, I'd ask to see a picture of the cowl tag to see if it has the famous "L" on it. That is not definitive proof, but so far it has held up indicating a big block car for 69.
Not gonna have an L woj, it's an Atlanta built car.
From the pictures he's taken, it certainly looks like it could be an SS, but you'd have to look at it in person. Remember the 350 also had a 3/8's without a return line. Like the others have said would be very nice to have some docs in hand, wouldn't pay L78 prices for that car either way though.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Jason,

I missed the fact that it was an Atlanta car. Good point.

My 69 350/300 hp has a return line. But it is also an AC car which may have something to do with it. My car also has a 12 bolt and disc brakes, could easily be mistaken for an SS.

As always, buyer-be-ware.

Woj

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Thus far, the best thing I see about this car is that it's not (...yet....) been bid up to stupid money.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did ask if there was a buildsheet and if he could post a picture of the cowl tag. Havent heard anything yet.

The price now is still a good deal IMO. At least around this part of the country it would be. Problem is getting back up to MN. Another expense. It is quite rusty for a car from that part of the country but then again, like Bill said, it hasnt been bid up to stupid money. Im thinking I may pass on this but there is still a day to go yet. Its a little too much rust for me but the price appears to reflect that too. Still thinkin.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its up to 4K now and I would still have to figure in the cost to get it up here. Then start figuring the cost to fix the rust. Decided to pass. Thanks for the responses. Still never got a response from him about a buildsheet or cowl tag by the way.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I think you made a good decision. I just bought a rust free 69 SS clone with only 3 years on restoration for 18K. It has every thing a true SS has and I feel any 69 without all original pieces is basically a clone. I have looked at almost every 69 for sale in country in last 30 days and there appears to be some softness in the market and a good time to buy. I would try to buy or build a 4Speed as I did. They seem to have the most long term potential. If I can help you or share my contacts just let me know.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Why ??? no paperwork no motor no trans whats the appeal no matter what you do its nothing more then a CLONE .... that needs LOTS of rust repair :noway:
you could buy a SB car in far better shape insert BB & have the SAME thing a CLONE !! even the people on this site watch to much Barrett Jackson !!

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
That car needs lots of work. Considering the cost of a resto, added to the price of the auction, the buyer will have way more money invested than the worth of the car. No docs= basic value, not L78 value.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well its up to 4K now and I would still have to figure in the cost to get it up here. Then start figuring the cost to fix the rust. Decided to pass. ---Good move, looks like it could get pricey ! Don't give up , when you least expect to find something, you will ! Just keep saving for that "right car " !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
To much rust. Will cost you a fortune to fix. Plus other stuff engine,extra..Keep looking. No reserve. Find out where he lives if you cal he may have it listed locally and you could get it cheap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hello just thought i would add my 2 cents i just got my son a 1969 chevelle malibu no engine no tranny but the car is very nice newer paint car has been in storage since 1999 the guy i got the car from gave me new carpet kit, head liner and complete bushing kit with the car and the car has a/c with a ss hood i paid 6,000.00 for the car me and my son will be putting motor and tranny next week end i will post pictures before and after keep your eye,s open and your check book closed until you find the right car rust repair and or replacment is very expensive unless you are doing all the work good luck, mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.