Team Chevelle banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
Same here? I literally drove my car through hurricane michael, floorboards were filling with water, been through the mountains of Georgia unfortunately with salt still on the road, mine still looks great..
I appreciate you're post above^^^ so not poking fun at ya here, but it reminds me of this.....:D a favorite of mine))....

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
Are you saying that the nickel/copper turns green like pure copper does? I've never heard that before.
No sir, but it was green/gray in color @ NAPA here. Hand bendable I tell ya. Worked mint on a old Toyo p/u. That was 3 years ago, maybe its not green anymore? I remember saying to myself, crap if I have to bend any fuel lines for the Chevelle, I'll have a hard time finding good old fashioned steel line.

And BTW I'm there putting a new fuel pump on! I need a new line bent with a 3/8 flare end.

So it "aint" green anymore, huh? Just fished out a chunk to make a new inlet line with, its yellow/gold. My bad.

Must've been confused with old Mercedes lines. which are green and DO NOT rust. .

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a pre-bent kit from Classic Tube . Lines were Stainless Steel, very high quality and I had no problems with leaks at all. My kit was a custom kit so one of the lines didn't quite line up but I got it to work. Most of the lines fit absolutely perfect.

I think you can actually buy Classic Tube kits right from Summit.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I used a pre-bent kit from Classic Tube . Lines were Stainless Steel, very high quality and I had no problems with leaks at all. My kit was a custom kit so one of the lines didn't quite line up but I got it to work. Most of the lines fit absolutely perfect.

I think you can actually buy Classic Tube kits right from Summit.
Here,s my two cents ever since i discovered that cpper/nickel brake line thats all i use wonderful stuff . You can bend it easy it does not kink and does not rust. i re use the old fittings and flare the lines i have every really good flaring tool there is to have. It flres nice and seals well. I buy the 25foot rolls. Alex

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Sounds like copper/nickel is the way to go. Stainless looks nice but with the difficulty of installation issues probably want to stay clear. I installed a complete set of stainless lines on a Silverado and had zero problems with leaks. That being said a set of mild steel lines will last a lifetime on a pampered Chevelle. Look how long they lasted already.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds like copper/nickel is the way to go. Stainless looks nice but with the difficulty of installation issues probably want to stay clear. I installed a complete set of stainless lines on a Silverado and had zero problems with leaks. That being said a set of mild steel lines will last a lifetime on a pampered Chevelle. Look how long they lasted already.
Stainless is very nice for all the tiny bent lines up by the master cyl but its awful to flare and hard to work with on the frame and chassis especially if you dont have a lift. i would use it for looks if its a real no 1 car but on anything else copper nickel wonderful stuff Everyone has a preference though and that's ok. most all of our cars a well preserved NO 2 drivers and we drive them hard occasion permitting and we all use copper nickel now Wonderful stuff. Alex

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I haven't used it myself, but the one issue I've read about copper nickel is that you may want to leave a little extra length in the line to re-flare it in the future, because the fitting tends to stick to the line and snap off at the flare when removing it. I could see why that would happen, being softer metal than even OE steel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have had no issues with inline tube for anything. but ..being local and picking stuff up there may be the difference. Stainless is a nightmare as others have said. I do regret not getting 1/2 inch fuel lines.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
i bought an inline tube kit for my 72 with 4 wheel disc, good kit, no problems with the kit or the company.
Well the quality of a vendor should not be measured when all aspects of a purchase goes as it should but rather how that vendor handles things when something goes wrong. In Line Tube failed miserably in my experience. It’s what separates a good vendor from a bad one. If they conduct themselves as they did in my case I cannot imagine how they remain in business.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts