Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a little drag racing with my Chevelle and I know from past experience the stock M21 won't last.

Is anyone here racing their Chevelle with a transmission built in one of the super cases, iron mid-plate and super tail?

I see a few venders building new muncies on the super case, by AutoGear I think. One company, 5speed, offers different gearsets for different ratios. The M22Z looks mighty nice for street use, will it handle drag racing too?

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
it is nice and with that low first gear you can run a hiway gear in the rear and still get off the line OK.

Paul Cangliaosi at 5speeds.com is easy to work with. Old school guy, takes care of his customers.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I've dealt with Paul from 5speeds,he'll talk to you on the phone and answer your questions no problem,first class service in my opinion.I rebuilt my muncie and ordered parts from him,quality stuff,packaged well and shipped promptly.He's also got a lot of tips and procedures on Youtube,great info.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I will third the recommendation for Paul at 5 speeds. Bought some Muncie parts from him and he recently went through my Richmond 5 speed. Great guy to deal with and won't find higher quality work or parts.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Another recommendation to reach out to Paul at 5speeds. He will be able to answer all of your questions about the supercase.
I just finished rebuilding my M20 using a new supercase, but it's still sitting on my workbench and I won't have the car back on the road for a few months so I can't comment too much on it yet, other than to say the rebuild was pretty straightforward and easily manageable for most car guys who are comfortable turning a wrench.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been reading his (5speed) web site and will talk to him if I decide to go that route.

My main question is, is there anyone drag racing these super case muncies? And the M22Z particularly.

I would like to be able to use the car on the street and drag race it when the time allows with out fear of scattering it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have been reading his (5speed) web site and will talk to him if I decide to go that route.

My main question is, is there anyone drag racing these super case muncies? And the M22Z particularly.

I would like to be able to use the car on the street and drag race it when the time allows with out fear of scattering it.
Hi,
It depends on your axle ratio. Did you mention it? The lower you go in first gear such as a 2.20 down to a 2.98, the wider ratio the box will be and weaker the gearset. I've built many units with Supercases and Iron mid sections with little breakage issues, but the axle ratio complemented the trans gearing correctly. If your serious about being competitive in drag racing I would not recommend a M22Z set. A modular M22W set with a 2.56 1.91 and 1.37 is a better set coupled to a 3.73. An m22z is a strong setup with a 3.08 axle and great for the street but again how competitive you want to be is up to you. I use Super cases with thrust buttons in the front and steel center sections that the countershaft can be torqued down into. No problems.

Any Autogear dealer including Autogear offers these ratios. It's the building skills and other parts used that could be a variable such as stock extension housings, covers, used or new parts, different quality rings, bearings etc.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Paul for your posted reply. I will be calling you when I decide what I'm going to do.

My intended axle ratio is 3.73. My intended use for this 3600+# car is mainly street driving, but also, Friday night street shootouts at the local drag strip.

My car is a 1969 Chevelle, 396, with decent factory heads and a fairly large cam. Center force clutch. It will have a new driveshaft with 1350 u-joints.

Do you think there is an benefit in using an aluminum DS rather than a CM DS besides weight?

I wonder if it's wishful thinking that one of these new super case 4 speeds can take a full diet of hard street strip use.

For a few extra bucks the M22W DS looks even better.

Can you please comment on the shift-abillity of the M22W and the M22W DS.

My past experience with Muncie transmissions is not good, but that's been 40 years ago.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Do you think there is an benefit in using an aluminum DS rather than a CM DS besides weight?

I wonder if it's wishful thinking that one of these new super case 4 speeds can take a full diet of hard street strip use.

Can you please comment on the shift-abillity of the M22W and the M22W DS.
Aluminum driveshafts are bulky and I don't see the advantage. There are 1000's of units installed that have been taking severe track and street use with no issues. If there were constant problems and issues with them, I wouldn't be bothered building and selling them.

As far as shifting goes, that is subjective. Good drivers know what to do, bad ones can destroy transmissions. Clutch release and a good shifter can make or break a race weekend. The attached video is of a spec-25 M22 Muncie, full synchro. How does he shift?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Although that is some slick shifting I dont think Paul would recommend that type of shifting in one of his or any muncie / autogear 4 speed.
Thats gotta be hell on the synchro rings /engagment teeth and the hub/sliders.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although that is some slick shifting I dont think Paul would recommend that type of shifting in one of his or any muncie / autogear 4 speed.
No doubt it is hard on everything, but that is the environment on the drag strip.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I guess Iam kinda chicken to powershift my muncie at the strip --I have run through the gears out cruzing a few times without using the clutch and she slips into gear just as using the clutch but never with the pedal down all the way .
Never tried shifting with the clutch and leaving the pedal the all the way down through the gears .
I have only blown up my muncie once, back in the early 80's leaving a party- broke 2 spider gears, snapped the pinion - 1st , reverse and cluster gear all blew that box turned into a spare after rebuild as the pin was not the tightest as she leaks a tad.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That team has several Grand Sport Corvettes all running transmissions I built. The car in the video is running a fully synchronized M22 with my Spec-25 setup. The boxes are designed to take this abuse.

Paul

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paul, see this video where a guy power shifts his 4-spd. This is the norm on the drag strip.

The stock muncies would take this for awhile, but in the late sixties, early seventies I broke more than a few.

Some I knew what I did wrong, wheel hop, power shifting to second while the wheels were still spinning. But a few times I could never figure what happened, and of course over the years finding out the case was part of the problem.

Paul I'm sure your transmissions are much stronger today, but pardon me for being skeptical and asking these seemingly dumb questions. This is my first venture into manual transmissions in 35+ years. I've had much better luck with torque converters and automatics, but still like to row the four speed.

Reactions: mino65

·
Registered
881 Posts
That team has several Grand Sport Corvettes all running transmissions I built. The car in the video is running a fully synchronized M22 with my Spec-25 setup. The boxes are designed to take this abuse.

Paul
Paul, I was talking about the chevelle video powershifting through the gears wide open

Phil, most the guys I know with muncie/autogear 4 speeds do use the clutch at the strip and are much faster than my chevelle .

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paul, I was talking about the chevelle video powershifting through the gears wide open

Phil, most the guys I know with muncie/autogear 4 speeds do use the clutch at the strip and are much faster than my chevelle .
Yes I use the clutch power-shifting, with the accelerator on the floor throughout the run.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts