Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came to a page http://www.musclecarmuseum.com/ and it says this collector has <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One of legendary Smokey Yunick's NASCAR Chevelles (which were 'Banned on Sight' by NASCAR Officials - though many of its' features are now standard on today's racecars).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I have never seen it or heard info about it and was hoping maybe someone here has a pic or some info about it?? thanks...

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Smokey's Chevelle is the black and gold 66 number 13 that is shown there. It had many areodynamic modifications that NASCAR would not allow past tech inspection. Smokey was known for his creative interpretations of the rule book. There is more info on him on the internet. Do a search on 'Smokey Yunick'

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Floyd's museum is up the road about 3 hrs. away. The car in question was built by Smokey to go Nascar racing with.The wheel lips have had flares put on to it for wider tires/wheels.The roofline has been lowered, and several other changes made to it, most not apparent.I think the whole car is dimentionally smaller than the production car, or it looked that way in person.If you have never met Floyd, he is a super nice guy.He moved up to Seiverville, Tn. from the Daytona area.His museum is a muscle car lover's dream.Guns,racing memorabilia,all kinds of neat things.I saw a $10,000.00 bill in there, a first for me.It's in the showcases inside.A must see if you are ever down this way.I think someone is trying to get a tour lined up for the Chevellabration show this year, if anyone is interested.I saw it in the A.C.E.S. newsletter

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 12-24-1999).]

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nick is putting together a bus tour to Floyd's place.
He needs responses in order to get it together.
941-485-5519 after 7pm est.

Our Club made the cruise to Floyd's and it was a great trip. Lots to see and Floyd has many stories to share. I would recommend it to everyone planning on attending Chevell-abration or anyone passing through that part of the country.

·
Registered
410 Posts
This Chevelle was forund several years ago in ajunk yard in Ga. and restored Plymouth was one of the biggest reason for the ban they threaten to pull out of the daytona if it was alowed to run it was also said to have fuel in the roll cage acording to NASCAR.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
If it's the same one I saw on Shade Tree Mechanic (it looks like it is), the main items of controversy were flush mounted side glass and the trailing edge of the roof line swept up a bit, creating a small spoiler.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool, thanks 4 the info. A little too far for me but maybe one day i'll be way down there. I did a search on everything i could think of but his name, little slow??? i think so. I don't think i ever seen that sha tree.

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The front bumper was also stretched downward, but make to look stock unless you measured it..slick front spoiler!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
313 Posts
See pg. 55 of Mike Muellers book on Chevelles.
"Called a beautifully handcrated 15/16 scale model of the genuine article by Hot Rod Magazine, Yunick's Chevelle had the competition and NASCAR up in arms-and for good reason. That the tech inspectors body form template would not fit Yunick's downsized sheet metal was just the tip of the rule-bending iceberg....."

The book also has a B/W photo of Yunick (at least I assume it is him) sitting at Daytona in the car with the grandstands in the background.

jmw

[This message has been edited by jmw (edited 12-25-1999).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.