Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tierd of my exhaust system always rusting. There is company in my Chevy magazine that is selling stainless exhaust systems. Nobody local in Maryland deals with it. Any advice? Are they worth it or should I just stick with aluminized? Any pros & cons.

W

·
0 Posts
Not true, there is at least one person, Fred Frye of Fred's Auto will build you a system out of stainless, located in Marlow Heights Md., 301-423-3402.

There was a guy named Herb Gebbler, he built headers and the exhaust, but I think he is just doing big time Wiston Cup stuff now.

Fred is also the best man in the area on transmissions and rears.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Summit sells a stainless steel dual exhaust system for smallblock chevelles and camaros.

This system is made by Borla exclusively for Summit. So they are covered by Borla's million mile warranty. You can buy just the stainless headers for around 350.00 or you can buy just the exhaust system for around 350.00 or you can buy both. I bought and installed the whole system on my 71 chevelle.

The only things I didn't like were that it was 2 1/4 instead of 2 1/2 and the header flanges were NOT stainless. They said this was done so they could be bolted up to cast iron heads. There are some problems about dissimilar (sp?) metals touching each other.

The headers turned a golden brown from the heat so I had them jet-hot coated because I wanted them to look good. But they will never rust.

If Summit doesn't have what you want contact Borla www.borla.com

Hope this helps

·
Registered
834 Posts
I bought a set of aluminum mufflers for my 72 Malibu at the beginning of last summer, about 1 year ago. They were not bad, $200 Canadian, after about half a year of driving and a full winter of sitting in a shed, so one year, they have absolutely no indication of rust. Not only that but they have a life time warranty. I do not have aluminum pipes because my "old style" pipes are still in good condition. I would say just go with aluminum pipes. I know Midas sells them, do you guys have Midas in the states?

Gandalf80

·
Registered
166 Posts
i had the flowmaster aluminized exhaust kit on my 71 Cutlass and after 2 years of driving on salty New York roads, all the clamps were totally gone, but the pipes were in mint condition, even up by the headers

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
622 Posts
Check J.C. Whitney, they have aluminized and also stainless sets for most Chevelles with headers.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.