Team Chevelle banner

any gun collectors here?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  troposcuba 
#1 ·
reason i ask is that i have a couple of guns i got from gramps. he hasn't been with us for quite a while now, so there is no one to ask details from. anyway, tryin to identify age on a couple guns. one is a winchester model 12/12ga. ser# 605XXX the other is a .300 Savage 99 ser# 561XXX

I think i nailed the shotgun down to either late 1923 or early 1924 production. but i am having a hard time finding the info on the savage. Both are beautiful guns in excellent condition. guy at the local gun store told me he wouldn't even fire the shotgun because it was too valuable. course i know gramps would want me to use them for what they were intended for. He got tons of use out of them, but took great care so they have survived nicely.

anyway, ya'll seem to have such a broad knowlege base here on everything else, i thought i would try my home here before i got on some gun forums as the new kid.

thanks

#5 ·
like i said it is in beautiful condition. does the year have much to do with the value? i am not planning to ever sell it, just want to know what i have.

thanks again.

#7 ·
those are both good pieces. the model 12 is the benchmark pump gun as far as i'm concerned. the 300 savage was not a real high end firearm back in the day but i have been noticing lately that they seem to be getting some interest and respect, as they should. not sure what the going rate on them would be but its safe to say neither of them are depreciating at the moment. in any case it great to have a keepsake like that. i have my dad's a5 browning, k22, a marlin 32-20 lever action from the 1890's...cool stuff to have. oh yea and i have my great grandfathers shot horn (smaller version of the powder horn) that my grandmother gave me when i ws around 10. as a matter of fact i think it was her grandfathers so that is what, my great great grandfather?

#9 ·
Mike Feudo said:
Is the Model 12 a standard Field grade or anything special? The Savage is about $400. tops if it's real nice unless it is something strange.
it says "nickel steel" "full" on the barrel. i guess that means full choke. nice gun either way. not looking to sell. gonna shoot em actually. just curious like i said. thanks for the info guys.

merry Christmas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.