Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yeah, it's a different year and totally different body. That I know

Are there any -major- mechanical design differences between the two years? Meaning, did Chevy tout anything as "New for 68" which was actually some new feature or advancement, and not just a gimmic selling point?

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
171 Posts
The 307 was new for 68, replacing the 283.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Bob's right, the 307 V-8 was now the 'standard' V-8. A fine engine for reliablility I might add.

Also, maybe this is dumb, but I believe 1968 was the first model year to have side marker lamps, a government saftey mandate thanks to Ralph Nader and his book "Unsafe at any speed".

Was '68 the first year for the anti-theft lock ignition-in-the-column???

·
Registered
258 Posts
Copertop, no 68's still had dash mounted ignition I believe.

They changed a lot of stuff. I know the 4 speed shifter changed quite a bit, and the frame got shorter.

------------------

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I believe in 67 both the 2 door and 4 door used the same frame, while in 68, they used different frames, the 2 door being shorter than the 67 frame. Also, 68 got a wider rearend, so I would think that something in the front end would also change to create a wider stance up there too; perhaps the mounting postions were further out in the frame? Don't know what else changed to accomedate for the extra width up front...perhaps it's just in the tierod adjustment, or a different centerlink.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,010 Posts
Kurt

The front end stuff has no major changes that I'm aware of 64-->72. There are some differences in the spindles for disc brakes. Some cars, mine for instance, have an oval shaped rather than round lower A-Arm bushing. I've raced these cars extensively at oval dirt tracks, we never ran into any compatibility problems.

Tom

·
Registered
313 Posts
The frame change was from 115 inch to 112 inch, 67 to 68, in case you were wondering. I haven't seen it written anywhere, but the guy I bought my 12 bolt from says the rear ends were an inch or two wider from 68-72. Supposedly if you put a 68-72 rear end in a 66-67, it will work, but the spring pads and shock connections end up slightly off. Maybe someone else can verify. The base 396 changed from 325HP to 350HP. You may want to check if it was 1968 when they started adding a second fuel line to the tank for vapor return. I checked the Chevelle Resto Guide and the Chevelle 64-72 Color History books and could not come up with any other significant differences beyond the obvious.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Lots of stuff on the firewall was moved around after 67. I know for sure heat, AC, and clutch linkage changed at this point. --- Carl

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
68 4 doors have the same frame as the 68 elcamino. I don't know about the wagons though. So if you have a 4 door, you can swap it into an elky if you like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.