Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting my 70 over to a new SS dash with tach and gauges and decided to replace all wiring, including engine harness. Is there a difference in the engine harness for an SS verses Malibu? From Ground Up, M&H has different part numbers for regular V8 engine harness and one for a 396/454. Is there just extras on the BB engine harness?
Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
the big block has all the electrical connections in about the same locations as a small block- except for the oil sender. but the big block is physically bigger, and if you use a stock small block harness, you need to kind of "stretch it out" a bit to hook up the alternator and anything else at the front.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
the big block has all the electrical connections in about the same locations as a small block- except for the oil sender. but the big block is physically bigger, and if you use a stock small block harness, you need to kind of "stretch it out" a bit to hook up the alternator and anything else at the front.
So you could lengthen a few wires and get away with the SB harness ?
and I guess the lighting harness is the same ?
Dave

·
Registered
18,902 Posts
you won't even NEED to really lengthen any wires for a big block- but if, say, your alternator wires run along the valve cover, you will need to pull them out a couple of inches. there is plenty of slack in the harness, but it won't quite look "correct".

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The alternator wiring is part of the forward lamp harness on 70s and 71s. The alternator sets a couple inches further forward on a big block but the forward lamp harness is the same for BB or SB. The only difference in the engine harness is the length of the oil pressure switch wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts