Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A freind of mine has a 66 300 deluxe and wanted to know if it's a better or worse model, and wether or not it was worth hanging on to.

·
Registered
982 Posts
A '66 300 or "post" coupe is suitable for one of two things:
1.A parts car
2.A gardening planter
Sorry to any who may be offended, but its just my opinion, about a 2 door car that looks like it started life as a 4 door.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
C'mon Dave....Sure you don't just have a case of 'post envy'?

Seriously though, it is a less common body style, and to some people, that's worth more. Also, the post will create a stiffer body which can be of use in racing applications.

If he's just gonna use it for a doner car, he maybe further ahead trying to sell it to someone looking for that specific style, and then picking up a coupe for parts.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Byfield (edited 02-02-99).]

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree with Kurt,

don't chop up a car that is rarer than the average beast. These things aren't made anymore, ya'know.

It really is a difficult place to be in. On the one hand, we all appreciate getting a cheap source for original equipment. On the other hand it would be a sin to basically kill and cannibalize a vehichle if it is a fully functioning animal in need of some TLC.

Tell your friend to nurse that 66 back to full glory, if it inspires his heart.

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 02-02-99).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't cut the car up. There are plenty of cars out there that could be considered not worth restoring. Find one of those to cut. I would keep and build the 66 300.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I got my 300 66 from my grandma when she was to old to drive anymore. FREE It may not be as fancy as a malibu or ss but most all the parts still fit.So take that Big Block Dave and put in your Pipe and smoke it.!!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd love to have a '66 Chevelle post coupe; they are wonderful "sleepers".
There is a very large group of folks who have pillared Chevelles and Pontiac GTO's and wouldn't want anything else.
Please don't abuse this little puppy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Easy now there Flywheel. As I said, "Sorry to any who may be offended....". Just expressing my opinion, thats all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just couldn't let this post slide...
I am in the middle of "enhancing" a 66 deluxe with a 502/th400/9" rear and a few more goodies... Originally wanted to scrap the badging and copy an SS but after getting a ton of, "Where'd ya find the nice post" and "You don't see those on the road anymore" comments, I decided to make it a sleeper.
My suggestion is to do something different. There were only like 12,000 made in 66. Don't let someone comfortable with copying the herd influence your dreams.
(Just another .02)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
(if this shows twice, sorry. Netscape just went weird on me)

Production number for 66 300 Deluxe 2dr. sedan:

#133116 - 6 Cyl - 9,176 units
#134116 - 8 Cyl - 3,193 units

and for comparison purposes.....

#138176 - SS Hardtop - 66,843 units
#136176 - Malibu coupe 8 cyl - 130,540 units

(figures courtesy of the Year One catalog)

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is a case where rarity does not make it better. I have nothing against the 300's but they were the bottom of the line and will therefore never be as collectable as the SSs.
That being said, I think they make great sleepers! The thing is you can make minor modifications without feeling guilty. Put a big block in it. Or better yet, a super hopped up small block.

As far as an investment goes though, they will never go for the $ that SS get.

You know the car I really love? Its the 66 malibu sport sedan 4 door hard top. Its a 4 door but it looks sleek without the posts. I had one for 12 years. I wish I could get it back now.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
162 Posts
If your friend is really interested in what other people think, he might be happier with an SS
I here "too bad it's not an SS" from time to time. To each his own. As far as an SS being "better" than a 300, we're basically talking about chrome, badges, and body style. Image is everthing, and this fact is reflected in the market values.
Carl
65 Chevelle 300 (not even deluxe)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Way to put it flywheel,I have a 68 300 dlx that I dropped a well built 427 in.I love the car its made a real nice street car,and about the post-more rigid-doors shut solid-no flappy window-unique in its own way,so I say keep it will make a good street car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.