Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my rear end if it is an 8.2 will need to be replaced. Then I had completely forgot that I have a 79 Pontiac Firebird sitting in my barn. Any chance that would have the 8.5 rear end posi? If so, would it bolt up? I know it is not a 12 bolt. I counted the bolts on the cover.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crap, I don't know if that is good or bad, but at least it is an 8.5 that I don't have to buy. How do I know if it is posi?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
How do I know if it is posi?

Pull the cover and check for a Gov-Bomb (Eaton Gov-Loc) although it might have a clutch type too, not sure when they all went Gov-Bomb.

If you can't tell yourself, post a pic with the cover off and one of us will tell you if it is a posi or not. If its a Gov-Bomb you'll want to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
to check and see if its a posi easily, jack the rear of the car up, put in neutral and turn the rear tire. If the other side spins the same way, its a posi, if its an open unit, then it will spin the direct opposite.

·
Registered
523 Posts
to check and see if its a posi easily, jack the rear of the car up, put in neutral and turn the rear tire. If the other side spins the same way, its a posi, if its an open unit, then it will spin the direct opposite.
Yes if it's a clutch posi, but not if it's a gov-lock. Just to avoid confusion to some readers.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
A 1979 gov-lock ? :noway:
Yeah -Right !
I had a '78 K5 with a FACTORY 8.5 10 bolt and a Gov-Bomb :yes:. GM did alot of crossover parts in the late 70's.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
This what a good 8.5" 10 bolt with a Gov-Bomb looks like in the first pic, then the second pic is what happens to a Gov-Bomb when it goes boom! Both pics are before and after pics of my factory 8.5" when I decided to horse around in the mud too hard...... I ditched the 8.5 10 bolt and replaced it with a 9.5" 14 bolt. It has a factory Gov-Loc too, but its far more massive than the 7.5" and 8.5" 10 bolt Gov-Bombs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
there is a braket you can buy that wleds onto the axle tubs and goes over the center houseing that will alow you to bolt on the uper control arms but if it where me id just build the bracket course I got a good welder and experiance fabing metal Iam a machinist. I saw one of the brakets on ebay a while back. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Everything everybody has told you about the Rear End from the Firebird is true. If you have a money issue the Firebird Rear End is no solution.I easily destroyed two in the 78 firebird that I have with the "Torque Monster" 403 Olds.We are talking 185 HP here.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back to the drawing board! Helpful info though.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
Okay, my rear end if it is an 8.2 will need to be replaced. Then I had completely forgot that I have a 79 Pontiac Firebird sitting in my barn. Any chance that would have the 8.5 rear end posi? If so, would it bolt up? I know it is not a 12 bolt. I counted the bolts on the cover.
how do you just "forget" that you have a Firebird sitting in the barn?
if it has 3.42 gears and a posi, shoot me a PM.. my Monte needs that ratio and a posi..

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will tell you how. I am a teacher and one of my kids parents were in desperate need of a car. I had an 87 saab that got great gas mileage but was really rusted. They wanted to buy it because they needed transportation desperately. I just didn't feel right selling it to them but at the same time couldn't afford to just give it away. They said they had a salvaged titled 79 firebird at their house. I went and looked at it so I thought what the heck maybe I can do something with it down the road. Just never thought about using anything off of it for my chevelle. I have only had it for two weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.