Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a factory clock in my '71 that no longer works....is there any way to get it to work again? or is it toast?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I got the clock in my '64 ticking again (and it keeps time!) by removing it, carefully spraying the "workings" with some carb cleaner (stay away from the painted face & such) and a few careful drops of sewing machine oil on the bearings/moving parts.
What seems to happen is the contacts on the "flyback" mechanism get welded or arc'd, usually resulting in frying the electromagnet coils. If this has happened the clock is toast (no pun), unless you can get new coils from another clock.

I've revived a few, by lightly sanding the contacts with some 1000 grit, but the plating is gone off the contacts, and it will happen again in a short time.

A lot of places offer quartz conversions. Might be an answer.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Quartz is ok if you don't care about having your original clock. I took mine apart on my 66 and got it running and after about three months the contacts welded again and fried the coils for good.

The coils and the flyback mechanism are actually called the motor. Freds antique radios and clocks in Lenexa Kansas had a good motor and sold it to me, after I got it running again I put a toggle switch on the power wire to my clock that hides under my console so I can turn the clock off and on at will.

There is no reason for it to be running and wearing it self out sometimes weeks at a time sitting in the garage. so when I drive it or go to shows I flip my switch and it works, the one thing the quartz can't do is make the second hand tick, the quarts is a steady sweep and anybody who knows about these clocks can tell instantly if it real or quartz. But that only matters if you care about such things, or only care that you have a working clock.

Rocky

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey dawg
had my 65's converted over to quartz, I
have a guy in chicago how works on clocks and
speedo. if interested drop me a e-mail and
i'll dig up his number.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Rock66SS, kind of a pain in the bxxt setting your clock everytime you want to us eit, isn't it? I choose the quartz approach, second hand don't tick, but I've only set it once.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Joe,
Thats one of the things I like about my Chevelle!!! I got rid of my suit and tie gotta make everything happen now attitude a long time ago. fifteen seconds to set my clock is a small price to pay for a little satisfaction that I made a 38 year old clock run and keep perfect time, cuz anyone can stick a made in China quartz clock in there dash.

Rocky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts