1,956 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Seems like the HRparts-n-stuff bar is the prototype.

The GM style that bolts between the lower arms is a binding type deal. Works OK but when you get into the harder hitting cars seems like guys want a real anti-roll bar.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Paul I only have moch-up pics

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
It is within 1/2" from where my bolt on bar was mounted on the upper cross member, I did have 3" tail pipes with the bolt in bar. The bracket closest to the tire would be the stock shock location.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
and

I have the same H&R unit on my Buick GN... and Tom, I'm pretty sure that Paul Ferry (H&R) designed it and all others copied it. :thumbsup:

Claude. ;)
:thumbsup: when that bar first came available for chevelles alot of us here bot them ...nothing else like it a the time

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
:thumbsup: when that bar first came available for chevelles alot of us here bot them ...nothing else like it a the time
Yeah…the original design must have been good because several manufacturers copied it and still sell them today! :yes:…but if you ask me, even though I still have mine on my GN, personally I have mixed feelings about it…:(…but that's me...

Claude. ;)

P.S: --> H&R calls them "SWAY BARS", not "ANTI-ROLL" bars. :noway:

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Anti Roll / sway bar Well if we getting picky here it is an anti roll bar but Paul refers to it as both since its bolt in like a sway bar I think when he first made he called a hybrid of both or something like that not sure if that still on his site
its function is too further control roll by attach to frame/ axle tube rather than just the control arms by loading tires so as to make car go straight consistently at launch and gear change ......... its not going to improve your 60' on its own if your set up is way off to start

·
Premium Member
14,300 Posts
Since there has been some ambiguous statements made by some of those who posted in this thread, I just thought I would point out something to prevent any confusion here for the original poster of this thread....

The HrPartsNstuff bar, BMR Fabrication bar, and the Spohn Performance bars ALL bolt directly to the frame of the car, and to the axle tubes, NOT to the rear control arms like the GM "anti-sway" bars do. I don't know about the UMI bar, (that one might mount the same way as the other three do. I don't know). All three of those bars mentioned are bolt-in ANTI-ROLL bars which have a huge 1/38" diameter and are much stiffer than any stock type, or aftermarket "swaybar" is. I installed the BMR fabrication bar on my Chevelle. It required four holes to be drilled into the frame. That's it. No welding required, and the bar is so stiff that when you raise one side of the front of the car with a floor jack in order to lift the front tire off the ground, the rear tire on that side of the car immediately comes right off the ground with the front tire. These are NOT "anti-sway" bars at all. Big difference.

·
Vendor
1,217 Posts
I don't know about the UMI bar, (that one might mount the same way as the other three do. I don't know).
Correct, our design is the same way. It bolts to the chassis and requires 4 holes to be drilled. A few little tricks we add to the bar include a hollow bar which is 12lbs lighter, a design bent around the rear end pumpkin rather than under it, this prevents ground clearance loss and lastly, we laser cut teeth into our axle mounts to prevent the bar from rotating. Our design also automatically comes with heavy duty aluminum sway bar brackets.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

·
Registered
171 Posts
In the interests of giving honest credit to the engineering, originating, trail-blazing pioneer of the ARB-swaybar used for straight-line traction, credit rightfully belongs with SPOHN. The next 2 companies offering ARBs were selling blatant brazen bold straight-up copies of the SPOHN unit. No names necessary. <END>

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.