Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70ss El Camino and the amp guage is not working. I pulled the dash and replaced the printed circut.( it was hammered) and checked the guage with a volt meter. Can someone tell me where to follow the wires from the plug in on printed circut or add any insight to this?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The amp gauge indicates current (amps) by measuring the voltage difference between the junction block, small wire from the battery + terminal connects to the J-block, and the horn relay. If the voltage is higher at the battery (J-block) than at the horn relay the battery is discharging. If the voltage is higher at the horn relay than at the battery the battery is charging.

There are orange fusible links at the ends of the two wires. You can see one connected to the J-block and the other will be located about 6-8 inches from the horn relay. To help clarify the second connection- there is a #10 red wire that runs from the J-block to the horn relay, about 6-8 inches back from the horn relay there is a junction - the power output wire from the alternator connects to it. At this junction the orange fusible link for the second amp gauge wire also connects. The fusible link should be outside the wire harness. At the cluster connector, pins # 3 a black wire connects to the J-block, pin #4 a black/white wire connects to horn relay/junction. You can unplug the cluster connector and check for voltage on both wires. If either wire has no voltage it's likely the fusible link is bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts