Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I pick up my windstar fans on sat. I am just wanting to hook them to a toggle switch for now is this possible and what if anything special do I need to do?? Biggest toggle switch I have found is a 30 amp toggle I have read tons of posts here on this but none that wire directly with a on/off switch?? Do I possibly need two switches?? I for all the time and another for Hotter weather to turn on the second fan??

·
Registered
984 Posts
Use relays to switch the fans on and off. A lot of folks on this site use a temperature sensor that screws into the block and is wired to turn the relays on and off at a certain temperature. You can override the sensor with a toggle switch. The purpose of the relay is to allow the shortest possible route for the electricity to travel before it runs the fan. A long wire running from the battery to your switch and then back to the fan creates a lot of current loss which will affect the performance of the fan and shorten it's life. A painless wiring kit with the sensor, relay, circuit breaker and instructions can be bought from Summit Racing Equipment (Summitracing.com) for about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where/how does a temp sensor used with these fans read the coolant temp?

-BL

·
Registered
984 Posts
The sensor screws into one of the cylinder heads or intake manifold and grounds the fan relay when it reaches the rated temperature. The relay turns on and supplied direct power to the fans from the battery or alternator. When the sensor cools to a rated temp, the ground is interrupted, shutting of the relay. There are also temperature sensors that are mounted in the upper radiator hose that perform the same function.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Jim. I'm not sure if my block or intake has the required holes, so that radiator hose option might be the best for me.
-BL

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Do it right the first time. Here's one way.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.shtml
I saw the link and did some searching and they use these fans for almost everything for cooling. From Rock crawler jeeps to hot rods. Great link and info. Thanks.

I scored one of them at the u-pull yard last week. Looked practially new. I hooked it to my lawn tractor battery I was charging up and man, does that move alot of air. Way better than my mechanical fan right now.

Hmmm, maybe I should grab some more if people are interested?

·
Registered
17 Posts
These fans are nice. I used the Summit temp switch and put it in a late style water outlet. I also added an LED wire to the fan motor feed so I can see when the fan kicks on. With this set up the fan is off when I'm on the hiway and on in traffic.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What are the dimensions of this fan, width, length,depth?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Originally posted by Keone:
I also added an LED wire to the fan motor feed so I can see when the fan kicks on.
I was thinking about doing the same exact thing! Could you tell me specifically how you wired in the LED? Did you need any resistors?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used a 28 volt amber lite that pops through a .5" hole and locks itself in. Ground one leg to the dash and run the other to the fan motor + side. This light is plenty bright without looking like a warning light. Keone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts