Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm basically reiterating what has been said on this site before, but...
I've had my clear sight plugs (Moroso, I checked my receipts) in my Holley for a little over 2 months now. Based on experiences here, I made a mental note to take mine out as soon as I could, which was this past weekend. I'm glad I did!!! After that short time, the threaded part was already getting soft and expanding - which is why they apparently break off as they get impossible to pull back out through the hole. A caution for everyone: Use these only to set the float level, then take them out & put the regular plugs back in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ditto here, just had to remove mine last night as they were seeping bad, and were soft as hell.

Don't know how (mine were Holley brand) any company can sell something so damned dangerous as these, especially when you don't continuously check for things like that when your engine is running fine.

I think we all should mass email the manufacturers and let them know how we feel about this product that is unsafe for any application or that they should label the packages "for tuning purposes only" !!

My 2cents and email is done to Holley!!

-Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC Gold Member#610

"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it"
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it"

<A HREF="http://www.cartogra.com/rs/6E3E9082-2AF2-11D5-B429-0090277A760E" TARGET=_blank>My Pic Show
</A>
New Pic

ChevyWorld.net

G

·
About 8 years ago I was working for a local speed shop and we had quite a few returns of those clear site plugs. They were Moroso's I believe. The threaded portion was shearign off leaving the outer round plug. It was completely flush leavign me to believe that the threaded portion was glued in place and the gas had melted the glue.

Now many years later I have them on my carb and don't seem to notice any problems. I guess I'll take a look at mine any maybe put the old plugs back in as my level is set.

------------------
Malibumotorsports
79 Malibu, 414 ci BBC, 3550 lbs.
11.12 @ 122 mph, 1/4 mile
6.99 @ 103 mph, 1/8 mile (new best)
1.55 60'

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, this is all news to me!!!!!!!!!!

I'll check the ones in the boat tonight.

BUT HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION!!!!!!! Where are my original brass plugs???????

Boy! Nothing like fire on the water!

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
I have had the Moroso's in my carb since 1996. I never noticed any softening. What brand of gas are you guys using? It is probably an additive in the fuel.
I run Amoco Ultimate 93 octane and have never had any problem with them and they are still clear.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I got mine from summit a yr ago but don't remember what brand.. Just removed them and found the threads were softening and sticky.
I found that I wasn't getting the float level adjusted correctly through the clear sights. This past weekend I pulled them out and discovered when I thought they were set correctly they were about a flat and a half off to the low side. My workbench is a disaster but the brass plugs were safely stuck in a box with with spare carb rebuild parts buried under all the mess!!

My opinion on the clear site plugs has turned 180deg's!! I tossed the ones I had!! The Avenger series carbs by Holley come with these things, anyone with an Avenger pulled them just to see?

------------------
...Dennis
www.camaroslimited.com

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the problem might be with the formulated gasoline in metropolitan areas, that's why some have problems and others don't. (It's only a matter of time before everyone uses the "new" gas) It has nothing to do with "glue", the plastic is softening. I still think they're excellent for setting the float, but I will NEVER leave them in again.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
They don't do well when you soak them in carb cleaner either. I forgot to remove a set from the last Holley I overhauled. They almost turned to jelly!

[This message has been edited by Randy Mosier (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
mine have been in for at least 8 months..
original pair turned hazy after 2 months...replaced and this set has been fine..both were moroso

they are out and brass plugs are in...

way too dangerous to chance!

------------------
Rich Baratta
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
May 2001 Feature Car
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
What I don't get is why they don't make them out of the plastics that can sit in gas forever. There is a plastic filler piece in my Q-jet that sits in gas all the time. Sounds too simple.

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>There is a plastic filler piece in my Q-jet that sits in gas all the time. Sounds too simple.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh but is that peice transparent?? Plastic properties might have to change a little bit to achieve the "transparent" quality. I think the answer is to only use the sight plugs for adjustment purposes. What if they made the plugs out of glass?

------------------
67 Malibu Road Race Conversion

·
Registered
272 Posts
DOUGH! Just got a new Holley street avenger with clear plugs. I'm sure they won't leak. Cause there still isn't a completed motor to put it on. Not bitter though. Just a great excuse to paint the car. T.A.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Just checked my plugs (Moroso brand) and the front one is turning... rear is still clear. They have been in about 6 months and this is the second set (first set was Holley brand)... Hummmmmmm, I guess the brass ones are going to go back in. And the clear ones looked sooo cool on there too... Oh well... Does anyone know if the Demon brand ones will fit on the Holley bowls??

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

[This message has been edited by harleighguy (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Boy, you guys are like a conscience! I just bought some to help with float adjustment ( everything on the 3X2 is harder than normal) and I was toying with leaving them on,,,

THNX!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Yeah Gene, me too! I just took mine out too. I have enough problems without melting bowl plugs!!!!

chris

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Well, good news and bad news and good news. When I read this at work the other day, I forgot to look for my brass plugs when I got home. I just now read it again and went out to look for the brass plugs and found them immediately.
I used some small pliers to lightly grip a clear plug, and it came right out. No problem, no softening, nothing. Too easy. Put in a brass plug and tightened it.
Went to grasp the second clear plug, and it popped right off!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now what? Well there was enough sticking out from the float bowl that I could grasp it with needle nose pliers and get it out. Lucky! Now I'm afraid to save the unbroken one for future adjustments, one side at a time. But I do think I will buy another pair for doing adjustments only.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I was thinking about what 67jeff said about the transparent plastics. Why not use the transparent plastic material that clear fuel filters use?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.