Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with stroking a 400 and using small journal 327 rods? I built one this past winter for my boat and have almost no time on it. It was so easy to build (420 inches), that I am considering building another one for my car and I would like to hear from anyone who has stroked a 400.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
DZ,
My cousin has the same setup in his Chevy II race car and it runs pretty well. In my opinion, it leaves the crank a little weak where it is cut down to the small journal size but his has lasted ok. It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the boat as they are really hard on motors, always under full load !

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
Using the small journal rod allows you to offset grind the crankshaft, thereby increasing the stroke to get the 420 cu in.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,010 Posts
DZAUTO

I ran an oval track stock car engine like this for years. 'Course, it had a cosworth crank and Carillo 5.85 rods. We called it a 413, I haven't actually run the numbers thru my homemade CR calculator.

(Later) 4.155 x 3.800, I get 412. Did you weld the rod journals?

Tom

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1bad67,
This is the poor boys way of getting another 20 inches out of a 400 by basically using "what's lying around the shop". The way it's done is to offset grind the 400 rod journals .100 (providing it is a virgin crank)and then use small journal 327 rods and strong rod bolts such as ARP Waveloc bolts. On the one and only 420 that I have built, I only had to clearance the bottom of the block for 2 rods. The 2 rod nuts barely touched so very little had to be taken off. This engine is in a jet boat and I am thinking about building another one for a car. I have read and heard about this method of stroking for years and was curious if anyone out there had any experience with this combination. I have another 400 block/crank and set of good 327 rods. The block I have is a 2bolt and if I build another one I think I will install a set of splayed 4bolt caps. I would like to put an engine like this in a 63 Chevy II conv. Should make an awsome street car with 4sp and air.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.