Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1972 Chevelle came with a center dash speaker and AM radio . I bought a original AM FM Stereo radio for the car and have found out I should have done more research on what would be involved installing the stereo radio. I have decided to stay with the single speaker and look for a AM FM radio to replace the AM one I have in the car now. Are the AM FM radios set up for different number of speakers ? I read that it could damage a radio if you leave a speaker unhooked . It is a rag top so sound in the rear would be poor even with a speaker back there. I just want to make sure I get a AM FM radio that will work ok with the single speaker I now have. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I have a one owner 70 SS El Camino with A/C and a factory AM / FM.
The 1970-72 ( G.M.) AM / FM- MONO radio can be used like an AM radio.
A 70-72 Chevelle with a MONO AM / FM such as my El Camino with A/C . I have a left & right dash speaker.
IF..... My El Camino did not have factory A/C.....MY AM / FM radio would have " ONE " speaker in the center of the dash. ( 70-72 ) Chevelles with A/C have a center dash vent, With the center A/C dash vent you have NO ROOM in the center of the dash for a speaker. Take NOTE: If you have a 70-72 Chevelle with A/C and an " AM " radio, You will have TWO corner speakers left & right in the dash pad.
Bottom line: G.M.- AM/FM stereo-70 era----- had four speakers.
G.M.- AM/FM mono-70 era------needs one " Speaker " A/C cars got 2 speakers(due to the A/C center vent.)
........................................................................................................
And YES, When I was a lot smarter in 1972, I installed a 1972 Chevelle STEREO radio in my 70 El Camino. Yes I had the 72 Radio harness. And yes it worked just fine. And YES I had some off the wall speaker boxes sitting on the floor behind the seat and Yes they fell over sometimes.
........................................................................................................
Also for perfect fitting FACTORY SPEAKERS for a two speaker dashpad & SS dash. With a 20" Black & Green wire attached to the speaker and a plug on the end that plugs into a 1970 speaker harness.
I used two Mid 80s Chevy Celebrity L. & Rt. speakers from a Chevy Dlr.
Bob

Reactions: dmg1029

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a one owner 70 SS El Camino with A/C and a factory AM / FM.
The 1970-72 ( G.M.) AM / FM- MONO radio can be used like an AM radio.
A 70-72 Chevelle with a MONO AM / FM such as my El Camino with A/C . I have a left & right dash speaker.
IF..... My El Camino did not have factory A/C.....MY AM / FM radio would have " ONE " speaker in the center of the dash. ( 70-72 ) Chevelles with A/C have a center dash vent, With the center A/C dash vent you have NO ROOM in the center of the dash for a speaker. Take NOTE: If you have a 70-72 Chevelle with A/C and an " AM " radio, You will have TWO corner speakers left & right in the dash pad.
Bottom line: G.M.- AM/FM stereo-70 era----- had four speakers.
G.M.- AM/FM mono-70 era------needs one " Speaker " A/C cars got 2 speakers(due to the A/C center vent.)
And YES, When I was a lot smarter in 1972, I installed a 1972 Chevelle STEREO radio in my 70 El Camino. Yes I had the 72 Radio harness. And yes it worked just fine. And YES I had some off the wall speaker boxes sitting on the floor behind the seat and Yes they fell over sometimes.
Also for perfect fitting FACTORY SPEAKERS for a two speaker dashpad & SS dash. With a 20" Black & Green wire attached to the speaker and a plug on the end that plugs into a 1970 speaker harness.
I used two Mid 80s Chevy Celebrity L. & Rt. speakers from a Chevy Dlr.
Bob
I do not have air and the car came with the center speaker only. If I understand right I need to make sure I get a AM FM mono radio to work right with only a single speaker ? I thought all AM FM radios were the same . Guess my thinking is the reason I now have a stereo radio I cant use without going to a lot of expense and mods to my car, lol.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I know a guy that has a " GREEN " 1970 MONO AM/FM radio sitting on a shelf in his garage beside his Black 70 LS-5 El Camino. Gee, :D Who could that be?
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
They do make dual speakers that sit in the single speaker hole.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I put a AM FM Stereo radio in and only use the single dash speaker ? Might get kick panels later on but right now it would be nice just to have the FM working on my car. Are the AM and AM FM radio plugs the same ? It is for a 1972 Chevelle SS that only had a AM radio and single speaker in middle of the dash . I did not know I would need wiring harness, kick panels, and 4 8 or 10 ohm speakers when I bought the Stereo radio. Right now just trying to keep the cost down and enjoy the FM in the car.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Can I put a AM FM Stereo radio in and only use the single dash speaker ?.
You can't. If you don't have the proper loads on the original Delco's (and the stereo equipment is designed for 4 speakers) you will damage the output circuitry.

The best option is to locate an AM/FM-mono radio and install it. That is direct plug and play for a car that had an AM pushbutton radio and will work with your original 1 dash speaker set-up. Stereo equipment has totally different connector equipment since it utilizes 4 speakers.

That's why there is a difference between AM/FM (mono) pushbutton units and AM/FM-stereo pushbutton units;

RADIO TECH from Team Chevelle - Chevelle Audio

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information. Guess I will just try to sell the AM FM Stereo and hope to find a AM FM Mono. Wish I had known all this before I started looking for a FM radio, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Thanks for the information. Guess I will just try to sell the AM FM Stereo and hope to find a AM FM Mono. Wish I had known all this before I started looking for a FM radio, lol.
Just make sure if you do locate an Am/Fm mono radio, it's not one that has a built-in fader control (meant for a car with a rear speaker), or else you'll be right back in the same boat with compatibility issues. The "K" designator in the model number means it has a built in fader control. Radio Tech webpages describe this.

1972 CHEVELLE AUDIO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts