Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into 2 minor problems when getting ready to start the rebuilt big block. I have a 72 454 with long style water pump and brackets. First problem is I am using a oval port cast iron high rise intake manifold believe used from 65-69. When I was installing the upper alt bracket it is about 1/2 inch at most away from the water inlet for the heater hose. The correct intake for my car I believe would have the water inlet intake on top right behind the alt. The only thing I can think is trying to use a 90 degree adapter but I think that could cause a problem. 2nd problem is trying to run the lower alt bolt that goes into the through the lower bracket and into the head. Someone tapped all three head bracket holes larger than stock, so the correct bolt to fit the head will not go through the bracket or alt because the hole is to small. I am at a loss on how to fix this one, I cannot tap and heilecoil the head because It would be way to close to a waterjacket or thin it so bad in that area it would crack. The only thing I can think is mabey going to a pipe fitting with a reducer and screw that into the head that will reduce it to the correct size. Anyone have some good ideas for me because this is all I can come up with.

sorry for the trouble of my posts (I've posted three this week)

thanks,
steve

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
go to a BIG hardware store and ask for thread repair sleeves/kits ....these are basically a sleeve with external threads and internal threads that is threaded into and loctited/epoxied into a damaged threaded hole after it is drilled larger and tapped...you may just find the exact repair sleeve that will fit the tapped hole in the block...you will need to find a bolt that fits the tapped block hole and take that with you to be sure you know what size you need...

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey, sounds like your having fun, I just finished installing a 454 in my '71 and guess what, BOTH THOSE HAPPENED TO ME! Neither is a big deal, my water inlet for the heater is right on the front of the intake, and yes I have a 90 degree brass fitting in it.

My heads also had larger bolt holes for the alternator, what is it, 7/16" instead of 3/8"? I can't remember, anyway, I just put my alternator in the good'ol vice and drilled the sucker out until the bolt fit nicely, then bolter her up. I'd rather do that then do some patch job on the bolt hole. It was easy enough to do, just used a heavy duty hand drill. Hardest part was that the bit would literally grab the aluminum and run, it was hard as hell to keep it from running down the hole. But not to hard, just don' apply much pressure.

Just don't tell anybody it's drilled out if you ever use it for a core exchange, they might not like that.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

·
Registered
167 Posts
That lower altenator bolt you guys speak of is actually supposed to be a stud, and the threaded part that goes into the head is larger (I too forget the size) than the long part that goes through the bracket and altenator. Not that it matters too much, as long as you get it bolted on. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone else who sees this,and runs into the same problem. The correct stud is available from most Chevelle restoration parts suppliers.

·
Registered
12,946 Posts
SSteveL is right!!!! The bolt is 7/16 on the end that goes into the head, then a hex head (5/8 I believe) then a long 3/8 stud. There is also another bracket that goes with this stud.
stevenb8,
If yours is a 72, what happened to the original 72 attaching parts for your alternator? The correct parts should be easy to round up. I think they are all the same from 69-up.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes mine is a 72 but I used to have a 350 in it about 3 months ago and as you know the alt brackets will not work. I will check on the special stud for the alt. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too had the same bolt problem on my 72 #290 casting heads. I just drilled out the alternator a little though and it fixed it right up.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too had the same bolt problem on my 72 #290 casting heads. I just drilled out the alternator a little though and it fixed it right up.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.