Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What i'm after is a header that would dump down like the factory exhaust mans. Does anyone make such a header? I've seen the shorties for Headmen (?) but they wanted your first born for these. Also would i lose alot of HP from factory manifolds because i've tought about using these too but from some of the other posting it looks like i would lose HP. As far as the motor HP goes not ready to think about that yet (well somewhat I do want as many ponies as i can get in the 396) because i'm after getting the body in shape first. anyone and everyone throw your 2 cents in (looking for ideas)
Thanks Tom

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL
67SS Yellow right now:(

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Hedman makes an intermediate header for Chevelles and Elkys that costs less than $150/pair. Dynomax makes them,too. I'm in the process of installing a pair of Sanderson 1 7/8" intermediate headers on my big block 68 Elky. They cost me $299 to my front door before coating($100 at Performance Coatings in OKC). Why did I choose the Sandersons? Their design allows for keeping a column shifter(Hedman's don't)and their quality is better. My .02
Clint

·
Registered
26 Posts
Make sure that there is clearance for the steering column. I think mine are headmans. They are beautiful coated long headers. Too bad we had to dent them to turn the wheel.

Pat

·
Registered
994 Posts
Check out www.centuryperformance.com They have the largest online header catalog that I've ever seen. look at the QP2000 or the QP2100 for the Ultimate exhaust manifold.

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60 trans
"Canyon Carver"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 12-01-99).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow them Sanderson Qp2000 & Qp2100 are nice but a little out of my reach money wise
Anyone know were i can take a look at those headmen and dynomax intermediates headers on the web? Also in so past posting i think it was DZAuto real liked the Dynomax. Also i don't have a column shifter so i don't have to worry about clearance
Just looking for a header that will start to dump down at the firewall like the factory exhaust do. Any other comments will help

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Madmax,check out the picture of Sanderson's BB3 intermediate header. The collectors end at the bottom of the oil pan. That's what I'll be running on my 68 Elky w/468" as soon as I finish the engine rebuild. Sanderson headers cost more but you get what you pay for.
Clint

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys thanks for the info.
Hey Clint44 when you say the headers end at the bottom of the oil pan do you mean were the pan meets the block or at the end closest to the ground? If it's the end closest to the ground is there enough clearance there to get the exhaust pipe on and what size pipe would you run?

------------------
Tom
Belleville, IL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.