Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i had decided to go with the heads as-is i talked to the auto shop that did the work so im convinced they are fine but here's the q

i took the springs off the old 882 heads (they were double springs) and put them on my 441 heads BUT the shims had a larger ID and a smaller OD than the area cut for them,kinda like a spring going into a hole too big for it,
i went ahead and installed them but im wondering if they will walk or not since the shim is under the spring load

is this normal? the 882 heads fit perfect but these have smaller guide's and larger spring circles cut, but they are the same height as the 882's

need pics some will be up by 4:15 cst
http://members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/spring.jpg

R

·
0 Posts
I believe they could move, since they are not secured by the ID or OD, did you check the insalled height to be sure they were necessary??

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Chev,
Sounds like the 441 heads have had some machine work done in the spring area. You need the shims to be located properly or they will walk around...not good. The toher thing you need to look at is installed heigth. The 882's sometimes were cut for rotators and used two different springs. The proper way to do it as Rick said, is to check the installed height of each springs and shim as needed with the correct springs for the head.
This will require a spring pressure checker and a height mike or other means of checking installed height. This is the only correct way to do it. The 441 heads usually need to be machined to properly accept a double spring. If in doubt, have your machine shop check them.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 12-27-1999).]

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have decided to use comp's springs for this cam and no shims is it ok to use the rotators since they will make the spring shorter on the exhaust valves??? and im not using shims so i assume they won't walk around true??? jk

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

W

·
0 Posts
Measure the diameter of the spring, then the spring bucket on the head, to keep the spring from walking, they should be very close to the same size.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Chev,
The Comp springs, and all other springs for that matter, have to be set up at a specific height. If the heads you have are machined for use with rotators, AND one size spring, then you can use the rotators. If the heads are set up for rotators and TWO different springs, then you will have to trash the rotators to use the Comp springs. Like I said in my earlier post...you HAVE to measure the installed height, then select the correct spring-shim-retainer combination that will work. Chevy heads come machined in a bunch of different configurations from the factory, depends on what type of mood they were in that day, or what parts they had on hand. Most of the 441 heads were machined for no rotators and all the springs the same height. But...the only way to tell for sure is to put them together and measure them. If you do not have to correct tools to do it, either buy a $60 height mike, or pay your machine shop to set them up. If they are not right you can get into coil bind which equals major trouble, or not enough pressure which also is no good.
Get the spect for the springs, and check them...thats the ONLY correct way.
Happy New Year,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok now you scared the HELL out of me... if i use the comp springs then i would have to get new retainers too?? since the springs i asume from comp will be all the same... i can probably get the measuring device form a local shop (guy is really nice and doesn't mind me borrowing his stuff) and the springs will come with instructions on the height they need to be??

just when i think im about there and everything is ez BAM i get knocked down again

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Chev,
Glad I scared you ! That was the basic idea ! You have got to measure this stuff to get it right. The stock retainers might work, but you have got to check them...no short cuts allowed !

Let us know how it all worked out.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.