Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has to do with the Neutral Safety switch on the shifter. I had a B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter on my car and then it started having problems moving freely. So I decided I would rather buy a B&M Megashifter to solve the problem. I switched the shifters out and wired up the neutral safety and reverse light switches. There is one problem with the neutral safety switch. When the shifter is in park and you turn the keys to start the car, it never lets the starter shut off. I did some experiments and as long as there is a connection (tab is pressed) the starter is going. I used my fingers to press the tab while it was off of the shifter and she fired up fine, but the starter wouldn't shut off until I let go of the tab.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
I don't see how the neutral safety switch can cause the starter to operate with no power going to it.
The neutral safety switch should't be getting any power from the ignition switch unless it's in the "cranking" position.

You sure it's not getting power from the backup light switch?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that is the case and I have the wiring mixed up then I have another problem, because the way I have the wires set up is the only way it will even crank. I am confused on this one.(like i'm not confused on any other wiring problem) What do the wires that go to the neutral safety switch and the backup light switch go to? The starter? The battery? I didn't put the shifter in so I have never seen where the wires go. I just simply unplugged the old shifter and plugged in the new one.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mikey,
Here's a few things to check. Make sure the neutral switch is properly adjusted (check with B&M instructions.) Make sure the switch is the same kind as the old shifter.. normally open.
I believe the neutral switch interupts the wire from the starter switch to the starter. If you have a meter or test light, unhook the neutral switch wires and check for 12v. You should see 12v on the wire from the ignition switch only when your ignition switch is in the 'start' position. If you have 12v any other time, that would cause your starter to want to run. Also, do your backup lights work properly?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
docaudio - the switches are the same as the old shifter. In fact I even replaced the new neutral safety switch with the old one and had the same problem. I will try the test light thing right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the test light and I am only getting power to one wire when the keys are in the run position. And no, my backup lights do not work either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John D- Thanks for the link. He seemed to have the opposite problem that I did, his car wouldn't start. I am going to try and bend the switches a little and if that doesn't work then I will try just using the old Neutral Safety Switch on the column.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
Well you should be getting power to only one wire with the key in the run position and that wire should be the power feed wire to the backup light switch.

Naturally the NS switch can not send power to the starter if there is no power going to it.

larger purple wires are NS sw.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well all of the wires that run to the shifter are red and black and I would have to rip up the carpet to trace them. I would rather save that until last chance. So what your saying is that only 1 of the 4 wires are supposed to be hot and that wire goes to the backup lights?

·
Gold Founding Member
63,016 Posts
Well you already know of the four, two make the starter operate so by process of elemination, using a test light you wont have to disturb the carpet.

Heck you don't really even need a test light but it would be nice to know which one is hot with the key in the run position and which wire is hot when the key is in the cranking position.

ASSUMING
your back up lights work, temporarily connect one of the two wires that are on the NS switch to one of the wires that are not on the NS switch and see if the back up lights come on.
If so those are the two backup light wires and the two remaining are the two NS sw wires.

If not, connect the other wire that is not on the NS sw to the same wire as before (same resuls)

Start over with the OTHER wire that is on the NS sw.

There are only four wires so you can only pair them up so many ways especially now that you know that one of the two that are on the NS sw now don't belong there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts