Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So---spent Saturday putting my door shells back together.

Installed Electric Life power windows as well
Installed the tinted glass that my parts car had, into the original glass channels of my 66 Elky.

All was going well, except that I forgot to take my window fuzzies and new door handles with me.

New weatherstipping, and all glass run channels, power windows working great---full travel up into the upper door frame just like it is supposed to.

Today----remember the fuzzies and door handles----
Put the outers on----window goes all the way up
put the inners on----window will not travel all the way into the channel:mad:.

Install door handles
Passenger side will barely activate the latch
Driver side will not open the door:mad:

Seems the plunger on the buttons are too short----gonna try to find a couple of my 59 buttons as I think they have longer pushrods.

Only reason I bought replacement handles was, less cash than getting mine chromed.

So----the inner fuzzies go too deep into the door to allow the window full travel-----and the door handles don't work----must be Monday.

Well----I was bright enough to have my original cab and bed trim rechromed (+the rear bumper)----will look into having the original side rails repaired before I order replacement rails.

oh hell

Bryan

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Well tell us who you got these parts from so somebody doesn't buy another set. This China * is for the birds.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geeze---I'm sorry

All the weatherstripping stuff came from OPG

The power windows from NPD (who were actually less than ElectricLife)

Even the Vent widow division bar strip was not exactly as the original.
should have a curve and an extra lip at the top.

(the vent rubber fit fine) One of the stickers in the weatherstripping package was SoftSeal.

The fuzzies were "repops" original style---not too happy with either inners or outers..

May break down and try some others-----will have to if the windows won't close.
Any suggestions???

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is the repro pushbutton.
it is in the center surrounded by the 67 buttons on the left and 66 on the right.

Quite a difference----no wonder they won't open the door.

I think I will just use the best of of the 4 originals----2 of them polished up okay.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
When we did our '69 el Camino the button rods were too long and were a sloppy fit in the door handles. Fortunately I had the equipment to cut and bend the rods to suit. Most people don't have the equipment and it becomes a bigger problem. We had the die cast bed trim pieces repaired and re-plated. We got repro side rail repro pieces as we did with the tail gate cap piece. The tailgate piece needed a lot of heavy duty polishing to bring it up to a decent shine. I could have repaired the dented original with not much more work. Live and learn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The fuzzies were "repops" original style---not too happy with either inners or outers..

Question, how does one order from "repops"? went to their website and didnt see listings to chose from or how to order, seemed as if they sold maybe just to vendors and not individuals. If someone can please post. looking for fuzzies but for a different model car.

Allen

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Question, how does one order from "repops"? went to their website and didnt see listings to chose from or how to order, seemed as if they sold maybe just to vendors and not individuals. If someone can please post. looking for fuzzies but for a different model car.

Allen
In order to order from repops you have to be a Team Member here and know the secret handshake.........:D

In all seriousness the term repop is for reproduction part...most likely made offshore (china) and junk....Many parts we buy for our cars are unfortunately made overseas and do not perform or fit as the originals did.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
In order to order from repops you have to be a Team Member here and know the secret handshake.........:D

In all seriousness the term repop is for reproduction part...most likely made offshore (china) and junk....Many parts we buy for our cars are unfortunately made overseas and do not perform or fit as the originals did.
actually repop is a supplier/manufacturer company name too. Pretty much all of the parts places carry their line of junk..I mean stuff :D I try not to use that yellow box brand if possible. I have had better luck if soffseal makes it instead of Repop.

http://www.repops.com/

http://www.soffseal.com/

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I had a issue with my buttons...

Went to Northeast Chevelle and John, the owner, told me there were two styles of rods.

A straight rod and a bent rod. The rod that I bought from him didnt reach...he switched them out and the other rods he gave me worked fine...

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Naw
Already cleaned up the 67 buttons best I could, and installed with the flaws hidden by the rest of the handle.
Not gonna worry about it too much---gonna be a driver anyway.

Now onto the fuzzies

And a FYI to some of you ------"RePops" is also a brand name of the window fuzzies.----have no idea how to order for other cars.
This particular brand was WAAAAAY incorrect for my 59 as well.
Ended up going to an upholstry supply for suitable outers.
The inners were Sent to "CARS INC" to install on my door panels, those were okay.

Still have the same problem with the PUI fussies(<<<l:)at my ironic typo) I ordered. Windows still will not go up. Perhaps the battery I was using is a bit weak, as if I get a run on it, I can help the window to fully close.
I may just end up trimming the window tape so it will slide by the fuzzies better----have not decided yet.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not recall-----came from OPG I believe.
I don't recall anything printed on the box other than Chevelle Door handles.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
actually repop is a supplier/manufacturer company name too. Pretty much all of the parts places carry their line of junk..I mean stuff :D I try not to use that yellow box brand if possible. I have had better luck if soffseal makes it instead of Repop.

http://www.repops.com/

http://www.soffseal.com/
WOW.....My stomach hurts from laughing so hard.....What a name for a company....I'm sorry for my off the wall response as I had no idea.

Thanks Jeff for the correction....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not recall-----came from OPG I believe.
I don't recall anything printed on the box other than Chevelle Door handles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Naw
Already cleaned up the 67 buttons best I could, and installed with the flaws hidden by the rest of the handle.
Not gonna worry about it too much---gonna be a driver anyway.

Now onto the fuzzies

And a FYI to some of you ------"RePops" is also a brand name of the window fuzzies.----have no idea how to order for other cars.
This particular brand was WAAAAAY incorrect for my 59 as well.
Ended up going to an upholstry supply for suitable outers.
The inners were Sent to "CARS INC" to install on my door panels, those were okay.

Still have the same problem with the PUI fussies(<<<l:)at my ironic typo) I ordered. Windows still will not go up. Perhaps the battery I was using is a bit weak, as if I get a run on it, I can help the window to fully close.
I may just end up trimming the window tape so it will slide by the fuzzies better----have not decided yet.
I know this is old, but have the same problem as the windows wont go up with the outer fuzzies installed. Remove them, all is fine. Did you trim the windows tape Bryan? Thanks! Chaz

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,391 Posts
an other 12 year old thread. locked

Reactions: 68Chevele
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.