Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm converting my 'velle over to a CS style alternator from a 10SI via the tech files.

I pulled a CS off an '88 Olds 88 to use as a core. I pulled the plug off the donor car as well in hopes I could use it.

Here is the problem:
In the tech archives it says that the "F" & "P" are not used. The plug off the Olds 88 has two wires and they go to the "F" and "L".

BTW the Olds plug has "S", "F", "L" & "P" and my Bosch Alt. book shows another CS plug that has "S", "I", "L" & "P". Whats the difference?

My Question:
Are there cars out there with the correct wiring in the plug? I guess I just need to hit the 'yards and search while I'm making a tubular upper alternator bracket with rod ends that will allow one man adjustment

TIA!

Joe

------------------
The Chevelle Page

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Joe

As shown in the tech. reference, the brown wire at the voltage regulator gets connected to the blue wire. This blue wire will connect to the L terminal on the CS130. The alternator output will connect to the existing #10 red wire. These are the only connections needed. The plug you have should work. I suspect the 88 Olds 88. has/had a volt gauge that likely connected to the F terminal.

Are you using an Idiot light? If not the CS alternator will get wired different.

As far as what’s the difference between F or I. I don’t have an answer. I stopped by the local library to check the automotive reference on the 88 Olds 88, however it was closed.

With the higher output capability of the CS130 you may want to add an additional #10 wire from the alternator output to the horn relay.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Hope this helps,
Bob

"P" Terminal (Phase Connection) - This terminal sends a signal to a relay, freqency sensing
tachometer, or computer indicating alternator speed. This terminal may not be used - this is normal.
"L" Terminal (Charge Light ) - This terminal is fed from the ignition through the charge light on
the dash. This is similar to many other charging systems and is decribed in detail in our Nov/95 issue
with regards to 10SI alternator. Please call if you don't have a copy. This connection turns the
alternator "on". Without a signal to turn "on", the alternator will not charge. However the "I" terminal
may be used to turn this alternator "on" , as described, instead of the "L" terminal. Please note that if
there is a connection on the "I" terminal there will be NO connection on the "L" terminal.
"I" Terminal (Ignition) - This terminal is fed directly from the ignition switch to turn the alternator
"on". Without a signal to turn the alternator "on", the alternator will not charge. However the "L"
terminal may be used to turn this alternator "on", as described, instead of the "I" terminal. Please note
that if there is a connection on the "L" terminal there will be NO connection on the "I" terminal. If there
is a connection on the "L" terminal AND the "I" Terminal THEN the "I" terminal is NOT an "I" terminal
but an "F" terminal (confused yet ??)
"F" Terminal (Field Monitor) - This terminal sends a signal to the computer telling it how much
field current is flowing (therefore the computer knows how hard tha alternator is working.)This terminal
is not always used AND can only be used if the alternator is turned on by the "L" terminal.
"S" Terminal (Battery Sense Connection) - This terminal is larger than the others and provides
the alternator with a precise battery voltage reading however, this connection may not used. When not
used, the alternator will automatically sense battery voltage at the battery post.

------------------
Bob Walton
MCC #386
ACES #3158
Team Chevelle Gold #221

1 - 5 of 5 Posts