·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Which means deceleration will be worse.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Which means deceleration will be worse.
Trap doors keep oil in the sump on decel. Engine is not accelerating at higher rpm during shut down, rpm is lower, oil system demand is less.
I also never said whether it would be better or worse on the track, because neither I, nor anyone else, knows. I said we'll keep an eye on it. It may take some oil level adjustments in the pan, it may be just fine. We're also going to add about 10-12" vacuum and that will change the dynamics inside the crank case. If there is a windage issue, it may settle it down considerably. Seen that before. Not one of my engines has ever come back with, or had (that I'm aware of) a bearing issue. Ever.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
So going by ear, that sweep was all of 3 seconds, give or take. And in 1/2 that time the oil delivery went awry. That's all i'm saying.

Is he doing the sweep manually or is the DTS just controlling it, just not with an adjustable rate?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
So going by ear, that sweep was all of 3 seconds, give or take. And in 1/2 that time the oil delivery went awry. That's all i'm saying.

Is he doing the sweep manually or is the DTS just controlling it, just not with an adjustable rate?
Wow. You're kind of like a rabid dog on this oil pressure deal.
I disagree that you can assume the pressure went awry. I disagree that it's a negative at all. I don't like to see pressure gaining. That's telling me the pump is doing more work and pumping more oil than it needs to. If the amount of oil is dropping in the pan, one would expect the pressure to drop slightly but still, this is a static condition on the dyno where nothing is even remotely the same as when the car is launching, or even decelerating on the track.
Ever see how much oil pressure a Super Stock has when it crosses the line? This still has over 60# with 200*+ oil at 7500 rpm.

Is this really about the oil pressure because I think we can stop beating that dead horse.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Wow. You're kind of like a rabid dog on this oil pressure deal.
I disagree that you can assume the pressure went awry. I disagree that it's a negative at all. I don't like to see pressure gaining. That's telling me the pump is doing more work and pumping more oil than it needs to. If the amount of oil is dropping in the pan, one would expect the pressure to drop slightly but still, this is a static condition on the dyno where nothing is even remotely the same as when the car is launching, or even decelerating on the track.
Ever see how much oil pressure a Super Stock has when it crosses the line? This still has over 60# with 200*+ oil at 7500 rpm.

Is this really about the oil pressure because I think we can stop beating that dead horse.

No sure why you are so defensive over someone making helpful comments on your oil pressure issue.

It's obviously not a super stock engine that gets torn down frequently for maintenance, so I wouldn't compare it to one.

I don't care if it had 40 psi, but it should hold that pressure, not start dropping. The PSI drop is indicative of an issue, aeration, cavitation, poor return, etc.

What I can't figure out is, if you had this thing on an engine dyno, why wouldn't you work on this there, especially if you think it's just on oil level issue.

What else would it be about? You posted a dyno sheet, i made a small and valid point on oil psi.

I didn't even comment on the bsfc and fuel flow numbers that seem a bit low for the stated HP, i'm guessing there is a good amount of correction in that HP #?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
No sure why you are so defensive over someone making helpful comments on your oil pressure issue.
You haven't made a single helpful comment. Just critical. I'm far more amused than defensive. I have nothing to defend.

It's obviously not a super stock engine that gets torn down frequently for maintenance, so I wouldn't compare it to one.

I don't care if it had 40 psi, but it should hold that pressure, not start dropping. Says who? The PSI drop is indicative of an issue, aeration, cavitation, poor return, etc. I disagree.

What I can't figure out is, if you had this thing on an engine dyno, why wouldn't you work on this there, especially if you think it's just on oil level issue. Race engines don't sit on dyno's, they go down race tracks. How many times do I have to say we're going to keep an eye on it?

What else would it be about? You posted a dyno sheet, i made a small and valid point on oil psi. Your point is not valid. I'd say it's more personal, but I doubt you'd admit that.

I didn't even comment on the bsfc and fuel flow numbers that seem a bit low for the stated HP, i'm guessing there is a good amount of correction in that HP #? LOL...
Anything else?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Anything else?
Nah, just thought it was a "tech" section, all my comments are purely technical, you seem to have some sort of issue with someone talking about the data you posted. Whatever, hopefully for your customers sake and his engine you get it figured out. In the future i'll refrain from trying to be helpful when I see an issue like the one you've shown here. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Please keep up with your “help” regarding these type of threads. Those of us that are not as knowledgeable appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Nah, just thought it was a "tech" section, all my comments are purely technical, you seem to have some sort of issue with someone talking about the data you posted. Whatever, hopefully for your customers sake and his engine you get it figured out. In the future i'll refrain from trying to be helpful when I see an issue like the one you've shown here. Good luck.
Helpful??? LOL... You haven't made a single "technical" or "helpful" comment. Sarcastic, yes. I have issues with someone just poking or trying to discredit, which is all you're doing. I've made several technical comments in response to you, none of which you responded to. Now, I've said all I'm saying to you.

Please keep up with your “help” regarding these type of threads. Those of us that are not as knowledgeable appreciate your help.
Not sure who this is directed at, but if me, I'm glad to answer any questions. Just not going to waste any more time on nonsense.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I usually stay out of these threads as you people know a lot more then I do. But since your accusation i was someone else I will post this just this once. Mr. Scott you have a problem with John who was on here and who does my engine stuff. I was at his shop today and showed him this. He pointed out your false comment when you said to mr Risk says who and not being concerned about it. This is a direct contradiction to what John showed me you posted on yellow bullet after a few engine people noticed the same thing with a 532 you did. You even said that this did concern you and you were looking into it. John even said he told you about it and you did the same to him as what you did to this gentleman here. Did not someone say they experienced the same and it was something about rear cylinders moving air.

RH

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Helpful??? LOL... You haven't made a single "technical" or "helpful" comment. Sarcastic, yes. I have issues with someone just poking or trying to discredit, which is all you're doing. I've made several technical comments in response to you, none of which you responded to. Now, I've said all I'm saying to you.

Not sure who this is directed at, but if me, I'm glad to answer any questions. Just not going to waste any more time on nonsense.

Have not tried to discredit you and have not said anything insulting. I've talked about your losing oil pressure. You must have some sort of complex from all the guys that give you a hard time or something. If you truly think losing 10 psi of oil pressure in about 1.5 seconds is ok, so be it.

What's going to happen if this guy makes a full pull on a chassis dyno and stays in the gas for 9+ seconds?

Or what's going to happen when he snaps the throttle shut and jumps on the brakes. I have news for you, trap doors only do so much for you in the shut down area. They help, they don't fix, and if you start out with low pressure the negative g's bring it down really fast.

Nonsense must equal proper oil pressure, because you sure don't waste time with that, lol

41 - 57 of 57 Posts