Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with my battery going dead after driving my car (70 SS396). I installed a new battery and alternator, but have not driven the car much since. I wanted to make sure that I have fixed the problem so I following the following directions from John that I saw in another post:

Troubleshooting the GEN light problem.
1, Remove the plug from the regulator.
2, Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3, Measure the regulator connector brown wire to a good ground. You should have around 12 volts.
4, If (3) is around 12 volts, switch the key to OFF.
5, Install the regulator connector.
6, Remove the plug from the alternator.
7, Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
8, Measure the alternator connector blue wire to a good ground. You should have around 12 volts.
9, If (8) is around 12 volts, switch the key to OFF.
10, Install the alternator connector and start the engine.
11, Again measure the alternator connector blue wire to a good ground. You should have around 12+ volts.
Post back the results.

step 3: 12.5 volts
step 8: 8.8 volts
step 11: 2.2 volts

Do I have a bad voltage regulator? Thanks...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Either that or a really bad connection. Step 8 was with the alternator connector removed. Should be getting the same reading on the blue and brown wire because they are tied together inside the regulator. Try putting a solid state regulator in there. Be sure to ground the regulator case. The 8.8 volts should come up. The 2.2 volts is way low. Let's hope it comes up after the regulator is replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.