Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put in a american auto wire kit and will be using the stock 70 dash with the gauges. my question is will leaving the two wires for the amp gauge undone be ok or should they be hooked to them self. the motor has a one-wire alterntor if that helps any.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
i put in a american auto wire kit and will be using the stock 70 dash with the gauges. my question is will leaving the two wires for the amp gauge undone be ok or should they be hooked to them self. the motor has a one-wire alterntor if that helps any.
What harnesses did you put in? All of the amp gauge wiring is in the dash and FWD lamp harnesses. The gauge will work with a 1 wire alt as long as the output terminal is wired to the factory wire (10g red). If you leave any wires unconnected, cover them with tape or something as they are not fused (only fusible links). I would not connect them together either.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the highway 22 harness, the wires are taped up so nothing can touch them. i really don't want to see the car catch fire as el camino's in my area is hard to find. by leaving it unhook i shouldn't see any problems with the rest of the dash right or should i study some more and hook it up? i did see that one wire dirgram posted would that also go for my amp gauge? there is no volt regulator on the radiator support any more.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
did see that one wire dirgram posted would that also go for my amp gauge?
Yes. I would either connect the amp gauge proberly, or leave the wires disconnected. If you want to connect the amp gauge, i would add 5 amp fuses at both ends of the amp gauge wiring (near the 4 way splice or horn relay and the junction block). This will protect the gauge, wiring, and the copper trace on the PCB board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts