Team Chevelle banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I say “SS” but so far there is no documentation to verify that. Here’s the background:

My bud found this car through word of mouth. He bought it from a elderly man I’ll call “grampa”. Grampa bought the car in 1987 but never registered the car to put it on the road. (we have the previous owners registration with address so we are going to try and contact that guy (Adam)). Certainly appears Adam made this car into a drag car because of the cars condition. The engine is a 71 coded CLB which translates to a 402-4V. The Muncie is a 660 case but we have yet to verify much beyond that because of the filthy grime. Weiand intake, Edelbrock carb, rusty headers & glasspacks, big ol’ valve covers, very wide Cragars, and so on. Turns out grampa tried to drive the car on his back country roads and determined the rear gears were so low that the car was undriveable on the street, so his son pulled the 12 bolt outta the car and put in a 10 bolt with much taller gears. (insert gringe) The original 12 bolt is missing, but the son swears it was a 12 bolt FWIW. A couple of years go by and the son (who worked in a body shop) took on the car as a project for dad and repainted it in the early 90’s. (it is a coded Fathom blue car). The son replaced only the lower part of the quarters (you can see the division in the trunk) , replaced what he said was a badly dented cowl induction hood with a GM domed hood from a donor car, along with the GM fenders and a passenger door from a Heavy Chevy donor car. The driver’s door is original and it has GM strato buckets (although blue) even though the 755 on the cowl tag says black interior bench seat. The paint job is quite good and it has never seen the road since it was repainted. I helped my bud get the car home, cleaned it up, did a lot of tinkering & pre-work and got the car to fire up. It actually runs pretty well considering. I wouldn’t even say it has a very aggressive cam considering it idles ok. My bud swore me to secrecy on what he paid for the car but it was not huge money.

The car has a lot of things on it that would have been correct for it to be a born SS, but as I said there is no documentation to back that up. F41 package (obvious big front sway bar & boxed rear control arms), disc brakes w/proper valving, GM tach & speedo, bolt on rag joint, clear front lens, etc. We took out the back seat and door panels, but no build sheet. I don't know why it has the wrong grill, and the original Fathom blue rear side marker light covers are in the trunk. I know the cars value is much lower without the original motor & 12 bolt & SS documentation, but still; another 70 has been taken outta storage and getting back out to daylight again. My bud isn’t sure what he’s going to do with the car just yet, but there is no rush. He has a garage to store it in until he decides what direction to go with it. ( he has other classic cars too)
7907.jpeg
PXL_20210109_182506728.jpg
PXL_20210109_210313234.jpg

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PXL_20210109_182449833.jpg

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nice. I love that Model B (?) in the background too.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Well one thing that would worry me and I entirely agree that these cars COULD have mixed up options. My car is one of them, but the fact that it calls for a bench seat on the trim tag the dash is not a column shift dash. The speedometer doesn't have the PRNDL in it as my column shift SS does.

Reactions: Alex_NY

·
Registered
726 Posts
you did catch the part where he says a 660 case as in 4spd.also there is no shift lug on the column.and in the engine pic you can see the z bar.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Good looking car. Dash letters appear to me at least to be white.?(71-72) Master Cylinder is from a small block car no stamp pad.

·
Registered
726 Posts
theres one just like that,same colors setting in a driveway about 20 miles from me,been setting there for at least the last 5 yrs for sure,one of those not for sale gonna do something someday cars.

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. I love that Model B (?) in the background too.
Thank you, and yes it is - Runs like a top too!

Good looking car. Dash letters appear to me at least to be white.?(71-72) Master Cylinder is from a small block car no stamp pad.
There is a green tint to the letters, but the pix didn't display that very well.
Can you please elaborate on the "no stamp pad" master cylinder item? I'm not familiar with this.

Look at floor from bottom to see if it’s drilled out for bucket seats since it is a bench car.
I'll have to go back and look, but I'd be surprised if the floor wasn't drilled through. That was pretty common from what I read.

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well one thing that would worry me and I entirely agree that these cars COULD have mixed up options.
As far as I can tell the only thing unusual I can see is a manual floor shift with the bench seat - but I believe you could have that combo on a '70.
Probably not a common way to go, but I'm sure it was possible.

·
Registered
1970 Black Cherry LS5 / M22 Convertible and 1970 Cranberry Red L34 / TH400 Convertible
138 Posts
Nice find...You Said "replaced what he said was a badly dented cowl induction hood with a GM domed hood from a donor car". Check the firewall for the 1/2" hole for the cowl induction harness plug...no hole no cowl induction. Check the accelerator pedal for the correct configuration for the kickdown switch. No reason to remove such items for a simple hood swap.

Mike

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
you did catch the part where he says a 660 case as in 4spd.also there is no shift lug on the column.and in the engine pic you can see the z bar.
Duh, you’re right. When I was thinking bench seat I automatically thought automatic.

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just watched some of Patrick Glen Nichols videos. He said he has yet to find a build sheet in any 70 Flint SS, and this is a Flint car. That was disappointing to hear.... :(

If that is true - what was the Flint plant doing different? Actually putting the build sheets in a trash can instead of stashing them in the cars? :eek: :cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts