Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a 496, my parts list is as follows.
2 bolt 60 over block, average machine work done.
781 heads w/219-188 valves, bowls blended,3 angle valve job
Eagle rotating kit for aprox. 10.5-1 compression, forged pistons ,cast crank, ballanced ready to go.
Comp. Magnum 292HR ([email protected]/578 lift) complete Kit
Comp. roller lifters, pushrods and roller rockers
Moroso pan for stroker w/kickouts
Edelbrock performer intake for quadrajet
850 Edelbrock Quadrajet carb.
What do you guys think of this combo. ?
Can anyone desk top dyno this for me?
I am hoping it's power brake freindly but still have plenty of power and a nice lopey sound for the car show croud?
What ya think?
Thanks T.C.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a similar combination with slightly less camshaft and compression and the desktop dyno calculated approximately 455 horsepower and 586 ft lbs torque. With your cam and compression it should be higher on the horsepower side for sure.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
I was hopping I would be up in the 550-600HP range?
Where is your peak HP/TQ, Comp.Cams said this cam is good to 6000-6200 ?
Although I wonder about floating the lifters at that RPM?
T.C.

·
Registered
166 Posts
TC,

I'm sorry I missed the fact that you had spec'd out a hydro roller in this engine. My camshaft was a solid lifter version with about the same duration at .050 (224/230) but with a lot less lift. (about .516 corrected with lash) My peak torque was approximately 586tq/3000 and [email protected] with a 9.4 compression ratio. Someone else hear I'm sure will run your combination for you, I think you could be close to your 550hp goal, although I'm not sure that camshaft sound will meet your expectations in that large an engine with your duration. Larger engines will tolerate more duration in this case, And I think your camshaft will be judged fairly mild in a 496 engine in terms of sound and idle quality. That might not be a bad thing in terms of drivability with a lot of tire burning torque.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Rich,
Im still in the planning stages so I can change the parts if need be.
May be someone either has a motor a little closer or can Desk top it for me?
Thanks T.C.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
What RICH said 2x...pretty mild cam. Also the PERFORMER 2-O will sign off at 5500

Send a private message to Brian "foureightynine" if he does not chime in here tonight...
He is VERY ENTHUSIASTIC about his new stroker.....and hefty bumpstick
Street? Street and Strip?
Sweet 69 in the gallery

·
Vendor
9,402 Posts
Just did this combo for a board member, 496/781 heads, Q-jet with performer intake. On a chassis dyno it made 350HP and 450#/ft. He wanted good street manners and power below 5500 rpm. On an engine dyno this would be around 430HP and 589#/ft. A low profile dual plane will kill HP on a 496CID engine, you just choking it. ..but the torque is phenominal. . .he said it spun the tires on the dyno in 4th gear.

If you want drop me a PM and I will give you his number....

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Having a healthier cam in my 489 ( 621/616 lift, 242/248 duration on a wide lsa), I can tell you that you'll likely want a stouter cam when you're done. I've heard that the bigger engines handle bigger cams well, and I believe it now - mine is TOTALLY streetable, a pleasure to drive.

Obviously, the rest of your combo should be suited for that - I'm just saying not to worry much about street manners with a bigger cam than you have.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks like I should do some more home work before I do anything.
Doesn't sound like I would be much ahead of the 468 I have now except for some low end torque?
468, Comp xe284, Edelbrock heads rpm 100cc,10.32-1 compression, Merlin intake, 780 holly.
T.C.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
My Desktop Dyno said you would get:
505 hp @5500
541 lb ft @ 4000

1050 cfm carb calcs at
521 hp @ 5500
550 lb ft @ 4000

FYI. My 496 with the same top end and a Voodoo 60204 made 492 hp, 565 lb ft of torque, with only 14 degrees of intial 38 total timing & 800 cfm carb. With the timing I have now and a step up to a larger carb I think I could see a 20-25 hp increase.

For the other gurus, is an Eddy Performer intake a high flow or max flow dual plane for DesktopDyno? A max flow intake makes a significant improvement.

My $.02
E

1 - 11 of 11 Posts