Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this. Please move it if necessary.

I recently purchased an anodized sump pan and there are some areas of surface rust. It's actually more a loss of the anodized part of the pan I think.

What is the best way to repair this without removing too much surrounding anodized area?

I'd like to avoid as much painting of it as possible. I was thinking I might have to sand those areas and then feather in some like colored paint.

Anyone got a better idea?

Can you reanodize this stuff inexpensively?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
there are kits for home anodizing though, an oil pan is pretty good sized and i don't know if you can do "spot" anodizing, try eastwoods website, i think thats one place i saw them...if it were me, id just sand the rust off and use a lil rustoleum gold (or whatever) spray paint, or, sand it all off and use an epoxy primer (if you're concerned about corrosion or any other primer, or no primer, if you're not), and paint it engine color (or whatever color you want) it is after all, just an oil pan.....good luck

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
You will continue having issues with the anodize coating coming off. Would be better off just painting the oil pan to match the rest of the engine, IMO.
Been there...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I sanded the surface rust off one big area and painted with gold engine paint which can take heat. It looked good. But I'll take your advice and shoot the whole thing and spot one area inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.