Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a product(short of a .22) that I can use to keep the cats from crawling all over my Chevelle car cover and peeing on the wheels?. To get rid of the cats is not an option
The car is stored in my pop's shop and my mother would probably disown me......Maybe when they go on vacation
Seriously though I thought I had heard there was some sort of product that kept pets away from vehicles. Anyone got an idea?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff A. ACES#841
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
This is a problem all right. As soon as one cat 'visits' the rest have to try and one up 'em. About all you can do for the tires and rims that I know of is to clean them up good and spray some protectant on them to remove the smell so as not to attract more attention.

I use big chunks of cardboard on top of the car cover. They seem to HATE cardboard and this stopped them jumping up on it.

Would love to hear more on this. I don't mind cats, but I can kinda lose it over this stuff. I was sitting at our kitchen table and heard a screeeeeeeeee, looked out and there was a cat sliding down our neighbors van...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I'm not a cat fan at all, but a chick I dated used this trick to keep them out of a place she didn't want them. First, buy a boatload of mousetraps. Set them all on top of the car cover, then cover with newspaper. It scares the %#@* out of them when they step on the traps, but doesn't hurt them. After a week or so, all you need to do is just use the newspaper. Sorry about the resistance to the .22, man. That's my tool of choice for cat riddance.

------------------

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I can't say some things here because you never know anymore who is listening and is just looking to report someone because they think they are such a do gooder. ALL, I MEAN ALL the bad things about cats outweigh everything that is even close to anything good about a cat. If you are a cat lover and I have offended you, I am NOT sorry.

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
1,347 Posts
I had a similiar problem with them gettting into a garage i rented I Loaded the place with Mothballs and sprayed the opening where I though they were getting in with Biter apple its a spray used to kep dogs from chewing wounds It seemsed to work MIKE

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have never had a problem with cats around my car and I think my solution could probably work for some others that need some feline protection.

I have a 120 lb Rottweiler/Shepard that faithfully guards my Chevelle from all the neighborhood cats, rabbits, other dogs, and small children. He does an excellent job.

You should try it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
First of all, the problem isn't the cats, it's the cat's owner. Whomever allows them to run loose should be taken over to the car and have their head used to clean the tires. We don't allow dogs to run loose, so why do we allow cats to?

That said, go to your local pet store and buy a bottle of the pet mess deorderizing spray. They sell stuff made just for this purpose. After a cat (or any pet) marks a spot, they'll keep comming back. This will mask the smell and (hopefully) prevent it from happening again.

Kurt (cat owner)

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cats hate news papers and the smell of thinners. If my cat gets out of line I just have to grap a paper and shake it and he runs like hell.
Another way is to set up a laser gun on an automatic movement detector like in the movie Alien. Once the cat moves the laser goes off and the cat problem is fixed. Just tell everyone the cat got lost..hee hee.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Have you tried duct tape? (on the cats, not the car!) When living in AZ on base housing I went to check my oil and found 7 kittens had taken up residence under my hood. Getting them out with all the school kids watching was not fun!
kevin d

·
Registered
166 Posts
My friend's dad has one of these on the side of his house: It's a little box that emits HIGH frequency sounds that really *****off non-human animals, like cats, dogs, racoons, etc. Maybe you could put one of those in the garage?

Funny thing is, my friend swears he can hear the thing....

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Jeff-
One thing to try. After you get done cleaning the wheels that the freakin' cat just pissed on, buy 4 plastic trashcan lids about the size of you tires from top to bottom and wrap a bungee cord lengthwise (like this ----(horizontally)) anyway the cats cant knock off the lids and the only thing they can *****on is the tread, We all know what happens to the tread of your tires on ANY cruise like Cheech and Chongs movie....UP IN SMOKE!!! Then your *****smell is replaced with the lovely scent of smoked rubber!
***(please read *****as pee, I guess that word is just like Ford!)***

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 05-15-99).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
if they are wild cats, (i assume you dont want to kill someones house cat) you can put out a bowl of antifreeze.. they are attracted to the sweet smell & taste of it and it will kill them, probably other annoying little animals too. as for mice/rats you can fill 5 gallon bucket half full of water and the mice/rats will drown themselves trying to get a drink.. works good in garages and is much cleaner than dangerous bloody rat traps

mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
One day my friend opened his hood and found that 3 park plug wires has been chewed in half. then he saw the rabbit take off running. Well a couple of weeks later when we went to change the plug wires, he opened the hood and I had my over under 2x barrel 12 gage. Well let's just say that wabitt wont be eating anymore wires.

------------------
RYAN REEVES
[email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a lot of creative or pervesive suggestions already, but here is one that I feel will work. By their nature once a cat gets accustomed to their particular habits little will keep them away, but a natural predator. Although someone suggested the rottwiler approach, you need not the whole dog. Just go to any and hunting or furharvesting supply store and buy some coyote urine. Soak a rag and place it in a open plastic container near your vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
With all due respect Darin:

BULL&%#*

The cat is the king preditor in the garage, If the cat ever smelled coyotie urine the cat would do one of two things:
1-Be lunch
2-*****over it

If you were to place urine next to the car the cats would have to re-establish their teritory. Just like they do with the other cats. I dont care if you have lion piss, do not put it next to your car!

Neutralize the smell and get the cats out of the garage, or move your car. If you do not neutralize the smell and the cats are gone, a mouse will *****on the car!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Hey D1_Bradley, I was at MCAS yuma when the kittens moved in. While the idea is great, I had a swarm of children enjoying my plight as they waited for the bus. Can't see me explaining to the police and of course, the counselors the traumatized children, that I didn't know they were there!
kevin d

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have trouble with cats crawling over my cars. When I get done with my Chevelle the cat will probably have to go, I hate those paw prints on my windshield. I've heard that you can sprinkle
ground up hot pepper around and the cat will get it on its paws and lick it off . I haven't tried it just heard about it.

------------------
Gary Davis
68 Malibu 327
ACES 3009

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've heard sprinkling black pepper on the car will disuade them from walking all over it. Won't work in a windy area. There's always glycol milkshakes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.