Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem solved. How you might ask? By finding the simplest-cost-me-nothing-solution-that-I-should-have-tried-before-anything-else solution.

I reinstalled the OLD sending unit. Before I did, I cleaned it up real well. The brass was a little tarnished. When it was originally installed I had good continuity between the wire post and the engine inself. However, there must have been enough tarnish on the post or the wire clip to cause, you guessed it, more resistance than normal. This is why I had a low gauge reading. With it all now freshly cleaned on the sending unit and the wire clip it works as expected. I'm at least happy about that.

I am frustrated that I spent so much time and a little money chasing down a problem I could have fixed in two minutes if I'd bothered to do the smart thing: check the obvious! The other thing I'm frustrated about is that I now know that replacement sending units are junk. I sure hope my current sending unit never fails because there sure isn't a viable replacement available at this time. And why not? If they can make one sending unit that works, albeit with an incorrect ohms range for my application, surely they can make other sending units with the correct range.

Maybe I need to check into aftermarket sending units just to know what's out there. And this was an AC Delco part so that makes it all the more disappointing.

I think I have a spare really old sending unit somewhere around here. I'll have to see if I can find it and check to see if it works. If so, I could clean it up and keep it as a spare. But I think I may have thrown it away, I hope not!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Rich

This wire company sells sending units they say are calibrated to the original specs. Look under "Switches" see if it is the one you use.
Under the FAQ area they have details on how to also lower the gauge reading by adding a resistor across the 12V and sender wire lug on back of gauge. Interesting information.
http://www.lectriclimited.com/

Rene

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Ah Rich, so you found my true purpose. No need to spend the money sometimes when solutions can be cheaper. Better to give the money to Victoria Secrets.

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by shooter:
Rich

This wire company sells sending units they say are calibrated to the original specs. Look under "Switches" see if it is the one you use.
Under the FAQ area they have details on how to also lower the gauge reading by adding a resistor across the 12V and sender wire lug on back of gauge. Interesting information.
http://www.lectriclimited.com/

Rene
I've used some of their products and they are well made and work well. Glad to see they have expanded the items they offer. I wonder why the Chevelle parts vendors don't carry more of their products? Oh well, I'll have to bookmark that page for future reference. Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts