Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hooking up a new 3 gauge set, oil, temp & ampmeter. where is the best places to run the 2 wires for hook up. followed the instructions and the car wouldn't start??? they said to install it in line at the horn relay. the were not clear after that. this is a generic gauge set made in asia so lots of key words were left out of the destructions. the oil and temp were easy enough and work fine. they rcommend 10-12 ga wire. is used 10- is that to thick?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Propest,

10 gauge wire is actually a great choice, not too big at all. The ammeter needs to be installed in series to work correctly.

If you were installing it at the horn relay:
1. Remove the 10 guage red wire from the horn relay.
2.One lead of the ammeter would connect to that red wire.
3.The other lead of the ammeter should connect to the horn relay.

This way the current flows from the alternator, through the red wire to the ammeter and back to the horn relay.

A better place to install the ammeter is in between the battery and the alternator. I installed mine at the positive junction block on the radiator support behind the battery, using the same procedure as above. This way the ammeter shows actually how much current was flowing back to the battery.

·
Registered
532 Posts
IMHO,I thought hooking a voltage gauge is a better indicator of the charging system and it elimnates the high current carrying wires (fire potential) from entering the cars interior.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by red68chevL:
Propest,

If you were installing it at the horn relay:
1. Remove the 10 guage red wire from the horn relay.
2.One lead of the ammeter would connect to that red wire.
3.The other lead of the ammeter should connect to the horn relay.
This way the current flows from the alternator, through the red wire to the ammeter and back to the horn relay.
You sure on this one? That works OK with a real series type ammeter. Doubt this import meter will handle much current. This is more likely to be a millivolt meter that measures drop across a shunt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts