Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a subwoofer in my Chevelle and the amplifier is working intermittently. It seems to have this problem whenever there is high humidity. It has power and it is powered up when this is happening. What should I check?? Is this a sign that the amp is starting to go bad?? Just looking for ideas on where to start. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Is the amplifier separate from the subwoofer are is it an all in one ?.

I would first go over the connections making sure they are tight and not corroded and then look for any possible pinched connections.

Amplifiers require an input which could be going in or out, the amplifier could also be going in or out by not getting proper voltage/ground, or turn-on, a speaker that is pushing the amplifier too hard with it's load/resistance and pushing it into a protection mode, and other variables.

If you can, post more specifics as to what exactly you have and how it's wired all the way from the radio out and through the amplifier to the speakers. Pictures too will also help. If the sub is in an enclosure that you bought that was just to house a particular size, post how big it is and any info if it has a port or if is of a particular design (4th order, sealed, etc).

Do you have any tools to help troubleshoot like a volt meter with a peak hold or ?????? and do you know how to use something like a volt/ohm meter ?.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My amp is a Sony Xplod XM1250GTR (340 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms bridged). The sub is a Sony Xplod SXGTR100L 10 inch (330 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms). The connections are all clear (the amp is mounted to the top of the ported box, and the capacitor is mounted to the side of the box). It has the remote turn on wire, along with the RCA connection from my deck to the box. It has been working perfectly for the three years or so since I installed it. The box is 0.84 cubic feet (built just for this sub).

The amp is powering on, as it is lit up when I turn my deck on. The problem started after we had a strong rain and more water got into my trunk (rear window was leaking, so it would run into the trunk down the inside of the glass). I just had the rear window removed and resealed recently, so the water is no longer an issue. It is possible that some water got onto the top of the amp. Once things dried out, the sub stayed working. We have had rain most of the day today and the sub started working intermittently again.

I have 3 or 4 multi meters and at least two of them should have all the features I need for troubleshooting (one is a Greenlee 93-105, one is a Fluke 26 III, and I have 2 Fluke 12 meters).

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The voltage stays steady around 13.9 volts.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My amp is a Sony Xplod XM1250GTR (340 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms bridged). The sub is a Sony Xplod SXGTR100L 10 inch (330 watts RMS @ 4 Ohms). The connections are all clear (the amp is mounted to the top of the ported box, and the capacitor is mounted to the side of the box). It has the remote turn on wire, along with the RCA connection from my deck to the box. It has been working perfectly for the three years or so since I installed it. The box is 0.84 cubic feet (built just for this sub).

The amp is powering on, as it is lit up when I turn my deck on. The problem started after we had a strong rain and more water got into my trunk (rear window was leaking, so it would run into the trunk down the inside of the glass). I just had the rear window removed and resealed recently, so the water is no longer an issue. It is possible that some water got onto the top of the amp. Once things dried out, the sub stayed working. We have had rain most of the day today and the sub started working intermittently again.

I have 3 or 4 multi meters and at least two of them should have all the features I need for troubleshooting (one is a Greenlee 93-105, one is a Fluke 26 III, and I have 2 Fluke 12 meters).
Now that we know it got wet, and electronics normally don't like that, is you may have to take it out and have an electronics technician bench check it and look inside of it. A good tech should be able to send the right input signal to it, get the proper votage and ground for it, and hook it up to a load like what you have with your speaker.

While I've probably mounted hundreds of amps to enclosures, it's possible something has vibrated loose or created a crack in a solder joint or on a component.

You could if the wires are long enough, dismount the amp and while holding it in your hand give it a few taps with a rubber mallet to maybe duplicate the cutting out.

While it was done years ago, I would ditch the cap. If you have an undersized power wire going to the amplifier the cap "may" help but ideally the proper sized wire and type needs to be run. A thing I hated with these stiffening caps is of the main battery that it was connected to went dead and you hooked up jumpers cables you would get a heck of an arc and most people would now slow charge the cap back up with either a resistor or a test light and would end up putting some nice arc weld marks on terminal ends.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Now that we know it got wet, and electronics normally don't like that, is you may have to take it out and have an electronics technician bench check it and look inside of it. A good tech should be able to send the right input signal to it, get the proper votage and ground for it, and hook it up to a load like what you have with your speaker.
Given what the Amp is it's probably money better spent to just replace it especially if water got in there. You could fix 1 problem just to have more show up.

Are you sure the AMP is cutting out and not the sub? A loose/bad connection on the sub could cause what your describing also. Could also be a bad input into the AMP. Judging that you had a water leak I'd say the AMP probably needs to be replaced...Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that things have dried out from all the rain, the amp seems to be working just fine. Hopefully it will stay that way. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts