Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the stupid question, I am new to this. I have a triple gauge from summit. It was on the car when I bought it. The needle on the amperage gauge is always at "0" never positive or negative I just had to replace the battery because the previous owner had only a 300 amp cranking battery in and it went dead from sitting. I dont want to ruin a $120 battery if there is some thing wrong. No electrical problems that I have experienced. I just notice the gauges
thanx for your help in advance

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Ammeters tend to be stingy with useful info. They only tell if the system is charging or discharging (when properly connected). And they add a lot of unnecessary wiring to the car. I would suggest that you get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the battery when the car is idling. A reading of 14.5 would be good. If it is in the 12's you have a charging problem.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
hate to hijack this post, but where is the best place to hook up the volt meter. Right now, mine is hooked onto what i think is a switched 12V power source for something in the dash(doesn't look like the correct readings). If at the alternator, which wire is it, and do i just run the guage in series(in line) with it?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
A switched source off the fuse block should be fine. If it's not reading correct, verify it with a digital multi-meter. If your wiring is good you should be reading correct voltage on the fuse block. Don't know what wire you picked, could be a voltage drop depending on what it's connected to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.