Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my problem guys, I bought a 69 chevelle with a small block in it. It has a new alt.(don't know what kind) and it has the one wire that goes to the positive. My ? is, why is my gen. light on, it still has the volt regulator in it to. I think one or some of those wires are suppose to de deleted. thanks [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
If you’re sure it’s a one wire alternator. The two wire plug from the factory alternator is not connected to the new alt. You can disconnect the old voltage regulator. Secure the plug so that the wire terminals don’t contact metal (ground). The light should stay out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that if I disconnect the voltage regulator completely, The light will go out. DO I need any of the wires that are hook up to it. If I take it off and the wiring, it doesn't hurt anything

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If I could speak for Elree. If you do not have a connector plugged into the side of the alternator, chances are you have a 1-wire alternator. This connector has a blue and white wire in it. If you have a 1-wire alternator, you can remove your regulator. You don't need it. As Elree said, tie back the regulator connector so it doesn't touch ground. There is still power on the brown wire on the regulator connector. It should not touch ground.
Yep. the light will go out. (Unless the brown line is shorted to the frame somewhere)

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 02-06-2002).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts