Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Ive got an 800watt Kenwood 2 channel amp. I cant seem to get my wiring correct. How do I wire in a second set of speakers? It doesnt seem right when I do it. The amp has a set of inputs for 1 set of speakers which my rear 6x9's are hooked into. Would I wire the front Right with the rear right,and etc? The balance and fade is off then? I dont get it :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are two ways to run your speakers. 1) in series and 2) is parrallel. The first one you run the + from the amp to the + of the first speaker, then from the - of the first to the + of the second speaker, then the - of the second speaker to the - on the amp. Just run the front to one channel and the rear to the other channel of the amp. The second is connect the + and - of both front speakers directly to the + and - of the amp, and the same for the rear. But if you do the second method make sure the amp can handle it, because it will draw more current(Ohm's law theory). If you are not sure go with the first method. I am not claiming to be a pro, but I have played with car audio for a while. Hope this helps. There might be an easier way to have said it, but I did my best. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Amplifier 101

1) You've got a 2 Ch. or a "2 output" amplifier. Each channel of this amp will have a load rating. Most good car amps will be able to handle between a 2 and 8 Ohm load. Check your spec. sheet for 2 Ohm stability - more later.

2) You want to drive 4 speakers (drivers) from the 2 outputs of the amplifier. You need to know the following: The impedance in Ohms of each speaker (not the "Wattage" rating!) It will usually be either 4 or 8 Ohms for car-fi product.

3) Unless you install a Hi-Power "L-pad" type fader control, you will lose fader control (front to back). You only have 2 outputs, traditionally wired L & R (balance). Installing one of these will complicate the next step.

4) Choice time - depending on the stability/capability of your amplifier, and the impedance of your speakers you will connect them one of two ways - series or parallel.

Series connection (4 Ohm speakers)/per channel connection:
Amp + output to 1st speaker's +
1st speaker's - (neg) to 2nd speaker's +
2nd speaker's - (neg) to amp's -
This will result in a 8 Ohm load. If using 8 Ohm speakers, it will result in a 16 Ohm load.

Parallel connection (4 Ohm speakers)/per channel
Amp + output to both speaker's +
Amp - output to both speaker's - (neg)
This will result in a 2 Ohm load. If using 8 Ohm speakers, it will result in a 4 Ohm load.

It is dependent on your amp's capability upon which method to choose. Driving a 2 Ohm load requires a LOT of current, and the amp will run hot. Either way, you lose F to R (fader) control, unless #3 is done (not recommended).

More than likely you'll hear an output difference between front & rear, due to either efficiency mismatch, or the physical size difference (cone area) between the front and rear drivers. If it was me I'd get another amplifier for the front (depending if your head unit has either line level, or low-power (6W or less) front outputs.

Clear as Mud?? ;)

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts