Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me how to check if my amp gauge is broken? It has not worked from the time I purchased the car and have looked at the back of the gages. They are all linked up with a circuit pad covering all the gages. Any ideas on this. The car is a 70 SS El Camino with stock round gages. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I think it is very common for the circuit board to go bad. I hard wired mine from the plug-in to the gauge. Amp gauge has worked ever since. Am not sure which wire I tapped into but I think it was black with white stripe. good luck Jon

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
EL70SS,

A simple way to check the gauge itself is to get a "C" or "D" cell flashlight battery. Simply jump the + and - terminals of the battery to the conectors of the Amp gauge it should deflect one way, then switch the connections and it should deflect the oposite direction.

I am currently haveing my 69' Amp gauge converted to a Volt gauge, by American Classis Restoration Inc. $89.00 They will also reface the original gauge to a volt scale for an extra $35.00. Never did like the Amp gauge.

Hope this info helps.

FastSS396Man

------------------
Brian

69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice pearl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts